We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Kolimbari son any suggestions?

North west of...
Level Contributor
98 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Kolimbari son any suggestions?

Hi there,

My partner and i are due to stay in the Selini suites in Kolimbari next week with our 12 year old, who is a reluctant tourist at the moment! I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions in how to entertain him without straying too far from a pool? Is bike hire safe around this area? Any car hire recommendations? Don't want to do too much sightseeing so any particularly nice areas to vist or eat would be appreciated? Would be more interested in pretty harbours/resorts away from the rowdier parts of Crete, not the likes of hersonnissos, etc. Is the samaria gorge worth a visit as i say my son wouldn't be that fussed about too much walking but i would be interested in visiting?

crete
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Kolimbari son any suggestions?

Hi,

Selini suites is a nice hotel in Rapaniana, 2km away from Kolymbari and 200m from the beach. Near by there are some tavernas to eat but the center is Kolymbari village with tavernas by the sea, supermarket, pharmacy, bank etc. The pool is in the middle of the hotel and to rent a bike you can through reception or from local agency. There is also the Grand bay beach resort, a hotel on the beach of Kolymbari with rooms next to the pool and direct access (sharing pool) with private sun beds.

Places to visit are Falassarna beach, Elafonisi, Gramvousa etc.

Samaria Gorge is 17km walking. If you want to see only the famous closest part of the two mountains there is the lazy way (you start from the end of the Gorge) and is not so hart to do it.

Bye.

North west of...
Level Contributor
98 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Kolimbari son any suggestions?

Many thanks for the feedback it is really useful

england
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Kolimbari son any suggestions?

I wouldn't advise Samaria gorge unless you are really fit - especially if it is very hot. An alternative walk is the Imbros Gorge - shorter by far. If you don't fancy the walk you can drive along the road by the gorge and stop off to look down into the gorge from some of the Tavernas en route.When you get to the bottom turn right to visit Chora Sfakion - lots of restaurants and tavernas. I also wouldn't cycle on the mountain roads unless you are fit - the roads are twisty and steep.

Check out car hire before you go on the net. Fellow travellers were being quoted £150 for one week hire at the resorts.

If you really want to get off the beaten track buy a good tourist driving guide we found "Crete on the Road" was excellent - invaluable when you see the hopeless maps for tourists.

North west of...
Level Contributor
98 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Kolimbari son any suggestions?

Many thanks for the advise

MEG
Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
71 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Kolimbari son any suggestions?

less than 1 mile from Kolymbary harbour you'll find Moni Gonia, history laden monastery with a couple of stunning icons.

Elafonissi is a dream of place, with pink sandy beaches, a lagoon, more Caribbean than Mediterranean, and an interesting well marked itinerary through the dunes, funded with a European Programme called Nature 2000. A prayer to all visitors: be respectful of such a miraculous habitat, don't litter, watch your children etc.

Waterloo
Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Kolimbari son any suggestions?

We just came back from 2 weeks right beside Rananiana, in Karmi Studios at Skoutelonas (you'll walk past Skoutelonas to get to Kolymbari)

It's a nice spot, away from the really busy tourist strip closer to Chania. We were with 2 teenagers 15 and 17 ... an easier age in some ways because they are lazier than at 12!

It's quite nice to take a couple of bus trips. We went to Chania once to spend an afternoon and eat in the evening before taking a late bus back. Another day we took a bus in the opposite direction to Kissamos, a pleasant bay with nice restaurants along the edge of the sea. We planned to do other trips and even rent a car, but never got around to it... there was enough to do locally.

Each day we walked into Kolymbari for dinner - about 30 mins in each direction, longer if you just walk along the beach. That gave us enough activity in the evenings! In the daytime it's a bit hot to do much. None of us likes sitting for long in the sun, but we went back and forth between the beach and the pool, went on several walks in the area and along the beach, whiled away a few afternoons playing Greek backgammon, and read books.

We did a couple of long treks (10k and 20k) not in the gorges but up the mountains.

If you walk about 15-20 mins past Kolymbari port (up the road past the monastery) you come down into a little bay that is very pleasant to swim in, if you are good swimmers (it is deep).

Hope you have a great holiday, and that this gives you an idea of things to do. One tip: take a torch for the walks back from the restaurant at night - the roads are very dark and when a car approaches you'll feel a lot safer if you can signal that you're there.

Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Kolimbari son any suggestions?

Hi

We (a party of 4 adults and 4 kids aged 14,13,11 and 10) returned yesterday from Crete. We were staying in a villa just outside Kolimbari and tended to spend half a day around the pool and the rest exploring odd coves etc.

Samaria is worth a visit but you will find it hard in the heat particularly if you are not used to walking. I visited Imbros a couple of years ago and that is pretty, shorter but no springs as in Samaria.

Chania is lovely: pretty harbour and lots of alley ways with interesting buildings and shops. There is a navel museum although I didn't try it and you can also do a half hour glass bottom boat trip for 5 euros. There is a yellow submarine trip as well but I suspect that was more expensive and it didn't submerge! The boys (big and small) all went go-karting and loved it. The track is well sign posted as you leave the main highway at Chania.

We went to Gramvousa and Balos by boat from Kissimos and you might enjoy that. I prefered to go to Balos by car, although the track is a little bumpy the first view of Balos is breathtaking.

Elafonisi is lovely but swarming with people and painful if it's windy. Take the in-land road through the gorge-very spectacular and you can visit a tiny church high up in a cave, can't remember the name.

The sea was quite rough in places and I even saw someone surfing so a bit of body boarding may go down well or alternatively there's some great snorkelling to be done.

Hope this helps!

8. Re: Staying in Kolimbari son any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, September 08, 2009