We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Chania and area

Sussex UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Chania and area

We are staying in the old town of Chania in an apartment for a week in September and would like to know the sights we shouldn't miss. We will be hiring a car and would like to see some of the surrounding countryside. We are staying in an apartment just back from the harbour. Any good restaurants, shopping etc suggestions gratefully received. Thanks

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Chania and area

Here are useful information about Chania:

http://www.thehotel.gr/chania-crete/

Best wishes,

Emmanuel

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Chania and area

For dining, I'd suggest Tamam (very busy, and its popularity means you've probably heard of it, but it's excellent food in a unique building -- Turkish bathhouse).

Also, for fish, try one of the fish tavernas on the water on the far east end of the harbor, near the Porto Veneziano hotel. We thought Apostolis was very good. We dined next to the owner's family, which was a nice experience.

As for sights, with a car you have a lot of options. Two drives I did when I was there was Katholiko monastery on the Akrotiri Peninsula (very easy drive, then a stunning walk down into a gorge.

The other was the drive on the northern coastal highway to Gramvoussa (spectacular) and the beach there called Balos. And then further on, heading south, you reach Falasarna. A beautiful beach with little to no surrounding development.

If you would like more information on those drives, let me know. Here are some pictures of our walk down to Katholiko. It really was a rewarding walk.

…webshots.com/photo/2302197280098525298zIyTXm

(just forward through with the next button)

Sussex UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Chania and area

Thanks so much, I have looked at your suggestions and now can't wait to get there!!

Greece
Level Contributor
157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Chania and area

Elafonissi is a wonderful beach when not crowded. You could also explore the area of Sfakia, you could visit the Kournas Lake, the famous Samaria Gorge, the villages of Therissos (nice food there) and Vamos, the Agia Sofia Cave and many more. The Chania town itself is very beautiful and there are a alot to see. Have a nice stay

5. Re: Things to do in Chania and area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 30, 2009