We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalyves/Kalives or Georgioupolis???

Kendal, England
Level Contributor
489 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Kalyves/Kalives or Georgioupolis???

Hi

I want to stay in a resort very Greek and quaint - must have good tavernas and a sandy beach!

I want to explore the West of Crete, mainly in the day so a good base with tavernas, bars in walking distance is ideal.

Any ideas/recommendations on accomodation and tour operators also welcome - self catering.

F'karisto!

Rethymno
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalyves/Kalives or Georgioupolis???

Personaly i preffer Georgioupolis. Many hotels to look for so you won't have any problems finding an accomodation. Sorry but i don't know the tour operators for england,

parakalo!

Kendal, England
Level Contributor
489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalyves/Kalives or Georgioupolis???

Thanks for that... I have read that it can be windy on Georgioupolis beach - is this true?

And which resort has the best tavernas?

Rethymno
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalyves/Kalives or Georgioupolis???

not as much windy as the south part of crete ;) About tavernas maybe kalyves has more but i wasn't there as much as in georgioupoli so i can't tell about its quality.

In georgioupoli go to the west , of the big river, beach. Immediatly after the bridge go down by the river and you'll find it. Its better from the very crowdy east part. You wil find the water very refreshing...

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalyves/Kalives or Georgioupolis???

Kalives for me every time.... Traditional working village - plenty of tavernas and right by the beach. See my answer re your Kalives post in Jan for apartments - haved bumped it today.

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalyves/Kalives or Georgioupolis???

Bumped on the Crete forum!!!

Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalyves/Kalives or Georgioupolis???

Georgioupolis is very touristy and has spread out all along the coast, with some huge hotels. Not authentic Greece.

Kalyves retains some of it's Greekness, being a working town. There are a decent amount of tavernas and two wonderful beaches but the town can be nosy with traffc. Almirida, nearby, is also worth looking at. Much smaller but the few tavernas are excellent, as is the beach.

Kosmar go to Kalives. Almirida is in the more up-market companies brochures, I can't remembe which.

By the way, you are not far from us, at Dalton.

Hampshire
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalyves/Kalives or Georgioupolis???

Hi visited Kalives last september brilliant cheap tavernas all close around hotels has car hire shop in village quite reasonable prices also bars, supermarket touristy shops but not over the top, easy access to main highway so was very good base to explore from beach nice and sandy but best beaches found with car hope this helps Vern going again in 1 week.

Kendal, England
Level Contributor
489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalyves/Kalives or Georgioupolis???

Hi

which company are you going with... and when you return please let me know how it went...

=:-.D

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
299 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kalyves/Kalives or Georgioupolis???

Hi I have been to both resorts and love them. We have been to Kalives 6 times travelled with Kosmar stayed in Nostos Apartments all with sea view. Last year went to Georgioupolis really enjoyed it lots of nice places to eat any very inexpensive towards other resorts stayed in the Glaros apartments. You can't go wrong with either resort.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kalyves/Kalives or Georgioupolis???

Hi there

Going to Kalives mid October staying at the Nostos studios noticed there have been a couple of people staying there,

if anyone can give me info on these studio or tip on places to eat would be most appreciated. like the look of koumos is there a taverna there.

thanks Dawn