We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chania in 1 day from Athens?

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Chania in 1 day from Athens?

Hi Chania Experts,

Is Chania small enough for a quick 1 day/1 night visit? There is a 9:25 AM flight from Athens into Chania and then I would leave on the 6:30 AM flight the next morning back to Athens. How many minutes does it take to get to the village and port from the Chania Airport? Sounds a little rushed when I write it out, but I just was interested in knowing the thoughts of some experts and other Chania travelers. Thank you for your opinions.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chania in 1 day from Athens?

No it's not.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chania in 1 day from Athens?

Not worth it for a day trip from Athens. And, its a not a village, its a large town.

What would you be expecting to see? There must be many closer places to Athens you could see a harbour and some tavernas.

Try Aegina or Poros as a starter.

Florida
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chania in 1 day from Athens?

The photos I have seen make Chania look like it might be a little village, which from both of your comments, I gather it is obviously not. Thank you for your opinions.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chania in 1 day from Athens?

Hi TRVLR06

Chania is one of the larger places on Crete and the town is quite a distance from the airport so you'd have to take a bus or cab into the town. Chania shouldn't be rushed - it's a beautiful place with a Venetian harbour and lots of little side streets full of places to explore.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chania in 1 day from Athens?

"Chania shouldn't be rushed - it's a beautiful place with a Venetian harbour and lots of little side streets full of places to explore."

Thats only part of it, its also a large town with all the modern 'infrastructure' you'd expect like chain stores, large banks, traffic jams, parking problems, crowds and so forth.

Don't get me wrong, we stayed near Chania for a week, visited a couple of times, explored some of those side streets, ate near the harbour, etc, BUT to ONLY give the first part of the description, is IMHO, misleading, especially if it encourages someone to take a day trip all the way from Athens to see it, because I think they would be disappointed compared to what they could see much closer to Athens.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chania in 1 day from Athens?

Joe

I only gave that part of the description so as to really impress upon the original poster here that it isn't a particularly good idea to try and see Chania in a daytrip from the mainland.

Rethymno
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Chania in 1 day from Athens?

Chanià has 50000 souls circa,its not the tipycal greek village. Is a modern town that has almost everything, not just old building and tavernas... I believe that one day is not enough, so if you don't have at least a week better stick to Athens. You can always consider a trip to visit whole crete another time. And remember, the island is big, so if you like doing things with calm you'll need at least 2 weeks to see major staff and places. As others told you the airport is not exacly near the town, so you'll need a cab and be very carefull about the price told. The city has an old venetian port and don't confuse it with the comercial Suda port that is near the city but not "in" the city.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chania in 1 day from Athens?

I send you some links that show the beauty of Chania:

What to See in Chania: http://www.thehotel.gr/what-to-see-in-chania/

What to Do in Chania: http://www.thehotel.gr/what-to-do-in-chania/

Where to Go in Chania: www.thehotel.gr/routes-chania-prefecture/

Chania Old Town: http://www.thehotel.gr/chania-old-town/

Chania Sandy Beaches: http://www.thehotel.gr/crete-chania-beaches/

I hope they help!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chania in 1 day from Athens?

>Where to Go in Chania:

Misleading, its places to go to FROM Chania, not in it.

>Chania Old Town:

Misleading, makes Chania look like a cute little seaside village. Similar to those pictures you get of a house for sale that don't show the oil refinery or factory just behind it.

>Chania Sandy Beaches:

Beaches *50 miles* away from Chania!

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chania in 1 day from Athens?

Dear Sir,

">Where to Go in Chania" is a 'free' translation.

">Chania Old Town"

We are locals who like their town and try to present it through web-pages.

Don't forget that Crete and Chania have one of the biggest number of RETURNERS in Europe because the images don't always show the truth.

The truth may be even better and more beautiful than the images sometimes!

">Chania Sandy Beaches"

The actual title is Chania Unique Beaches

Get answers to your questions about Chania Town