We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car jorney from Chania Town to chora sfakion.

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Car jorney from Chania Town to chora sfakion.

Going to Loutro from Chania. I see directions are to take the main highway and turn off towards Vrisses. Is the road decent? A 4 x 4 not required ? Drive down to Plakias regularly but the Vrisses road looks alot nearer.

Mentioned in this post
Loutro
Loutro
Crete, Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Plakias
Plakias
Crete, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
20,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car jorney from Chania Town to chora sfakion.

The road from Chania to Vrysses is the National Highway. From Vryses to Chora Sfakion it's a twisting mountain road (climbing to Imbros, then descending to Chora Sfakion alongside the Imbros Gorge: spectacular views) but well surfaced. It was extensively improved several years ago, and is safe as long as you drive carefully. You certainly don't need a 4x4.

Edited: 1:57 am, February 04, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Imbros Gorge
Imbros Gorge
569 Reviews
Crete, Greece
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
26,194 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car jorney from Chania Town to chora sfakion.

The road from Vrysses to the south coast is really good. Well surfaced, relatively wide and every easy to drive. It is also a fabulous drive, when you leave Vrysses the road rises up passing ravines with a violent history (Turkish armies were massacred here in the past) with the most fabulous views looking back North. You then reach the stunning Askifou Plateau where there is a very interesting homemade war museum, then as Alabastron says you drive high above the Imbros Gorge before dropping down to the coast. This is also the route that the Allied troops took as they retreated to the coast after The Battle Of Crete (there is an actual photo of the troops retreating in the war museum that was taken just in front of the house.

For an idea of the drive have a look at https://flic.kr/s/aHskEKYcwd and https://www.flickr.com/gp/goanjock/C35V8C and the first section of this album https://flic.kr/s/aHskgUcmiB

Mentioned in this post
Imbros Gorge
Imbros Gorge
569 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car jorney from Chania Town to chora sfakion.

Hi there

Not much more to add .......but if you do enjoy walking then I definately recommend walking the Imbros gorge it was the highlight of our stay in this area a few years ago , and it's a reasonably short walk 2-3 hours so you could walk the gorge before heading down to Chora Sfakion and catching the ferry or a taxi boat to Loutro which was exactly what we did - enjoy :-)

Mentioned in this post
Imbros Gorge
Imbros Gorge
569 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Loutro
Loutro
Crete, Greece
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
824 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car jorney from Chania Town to chora sfakion.

Leaving the car in Impros before walking through the gorge means that you'll have to either walk back through the gorge to get back to the car or arrange transport from the end of the gorge which is nowhere near Chora Sfakion. Nowhere = a good hour's walk.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,194 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car jorney from Chania Town to chora sfakion.

reference post 3.......I could be wrong but unless my memory is playing tricks you previously posted on the forum that after walking the Imbros Gorge you then went to Frangoskastello etc. for lunch. So is doing that and then doubling back to Hora Skafion and on to Loutro a good option?

Mentioned in this post
Imbros Gorge
Imbros Gorge
569 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Loutro
Loutro
Crete, Greece
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,194 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car jorney from Chania Town to chora sfakion.

Phew memory not playing tricks :-) I knew I had read it somewhere https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReview… So for future reference do you reckon that walking the Imbros Gorge and then heading to Frangokastello for lucnch before doubling back to Hora Skfion to catch the ferry Loutro is a good option?

Mentioned in this post
Imbros Gorge
Imbros Gorge
569 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Loutro
Loutro
Crete, Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car jorney from Chania Town to chora sfakion.

Hi again

Yes after walking the gorge you can take one of the local taxis that wait at the bottom of the gorge and they give you a lift back to your car which is parked at the top of the gorge.......and yes we then did visit Frangoskastello and had lunch there before driving onto Chora Sfakion.........actually we were killing time until the next Ferry was due :-) however in the end we caught a water taxi to Loutro .....where we stayed overnight....any questions do ask lol :-)

Mentioned in this post
Loutro
Loutro
Crete, Greece
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,194 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car jorney from Chania Town to chora sfakion.

I'll be sure to keep the times and distances in mind for sure ;-) :-)

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car jorney from Chania Town to chora sfakion.

Good to know you pay so much attention to my posts ;-) :-)

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,194 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car jorney from Chania Town to chora sfakion.

By coincidence your review for Frangokastello was right after mine which is why I noticed it at the time and it stuck in my mind........anyway back on topic it really is a stunning drive Imogen and I am sure you will love it :-)

Get answers to your questions about Chania Town