We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from airport to Agios Nikolaos - difficult drive?

London
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from airport to Agios Nikolaos - difficult drive?

I'm never that keen on driving on the right, but have been told by a local that it's a really easy drive from the airport to Ag Nikolaos. Has anyone done it? Can you advise? I'd prefer there were no cliff edges involved!! Cheers.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from airport to Agios Nikolaos - difficult drive?

No cliff edges involved!! It is an easy drive, on a big road, mostly dual carriageway.

For detailed instructions from the airport, see MG100's post (no. 2) on here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k64…

Clearly you need to follow Ag Nikolaos not Elounda, but apart from the last few km., the journey is the same.

If you say which hotel you are staying in, and MG100 sees this, she will probably give you exact directions.

Edited: 6:19 am, June 10, 2013
Hastings, England...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from airport to Agios Nikolaos - difficult drive?

As Steve says, it's an easy drive. The Cretan drivers are not bad either. Road junctions are relatively simple. Nice drive.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from airport to Agios Nikolaos - difficult drive?

Hi there

As every one else has said it is an easy drive :-) as steve suggested ....if you let me know where you are staying I can let you know the best way to get into the town .

Nj
Level Contributor
311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from airport to Agios Nikolaos - difficult drive?

Seems like I found the right thread. I will be coming from Vai towards Agios Nikolaos at around 6 pm this October and I would like to see the city a bit before I head back to Heraklion. In terms of driving where should I drive and park my car in order to be able to walk around the town? I am also wondering of course which part of the town is the nicest for a nice stroll and to be able to get a bit of a feel for the charm I have been reading about. Thanks!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from airport to Agios Nikolaos - difficult drive?

Hi there

It’s fairly straight forward to get into Agios from the main national road, which is the road that you will be driving on from Vai - Ok once you pass through the village of Istron then Agios is only another 10 mins drive………….. right directions: there are few entrances into Agios from this road, but I think the easiest would be the last entrance, so ignore all the signs for Agios, until you see a sign for Elounda and Agios Nikolaos, the National road bears around to the left and there is traffic lights at this junction ( signed posted Heraklion) turning right would take you into Agios (don’t take this road) look for a fabric shop on your right call “Knauff” written in blue continue straight over this road and then bear immediately right, (opposite direction from the road marked for Elounda) and then left ( up by the school in Agios) continue along this road past the Ambulance station, and then bear right, down the hill past the church on the left, at the T junction (with the beach in front of you) turn right drive along here and you will see some parking spaces on your left – which are free, park here and then you can walk into the centre of Agios ( will take you less than 5 minutes)

Area wise, everyone likes to wander around the lake and you will probably want to do this too, but I would suggest if you do want to have a meal then you get away from the very centre of the town and some of best tavernas are away from the centre, a nice area which is very Greek and does tend to be popular with the locals too, is the area of Kitroplatia beach – directions from the bridge look across to the left and you will see a restaurant called Twins walk up by the side of this restaurant with the restaurant on your left, up over the hill and then down the other side you will then come to the beach – any of the restaurants in this area of the town are very good but one of my favourites is Chrisofyllis lovely meze restaurant:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189414-…

Nj
Level Contributor
311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from airport to Agios Nikolaos - difficult drive?

MG Thanks so much for all of the details!!! The Knauff store is on the main road itself? And then I pass over the main road when I see the store? Thank you! In addition if I have extra time in the morning on the drive from Heraklion to Vai are there any scenic detours or really unique villages not to far off the main road that you would recommend?

Thanks!!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from airport to Agios Nikolaos - difficult drive?

HI Joseph

Yes it is up on the right hand side, so as you slow down for the traffic lights get in the middle lane and look up

to your right, you will see the fabric shop, the sign is on the roof of the building so easy to see :-)

There are a few very pretty villages between Heraklion and Vai, but I am only very familiar with the ones between Heraklion and Agios, so my recommendations would be possibly Neapoli which is the large village before you get to Agios ( 40 min drive from the airport) its a lovely village square with a pretty church too and some tavernas and coffee shops to stop off and have a drink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapoli,_Crete

From the national road Neapoli is less than 5 mins off this road. :-)

Nj
Level Contributor
311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from airport to Agios Nikolaos - difficult drive?

Neapoli looks really cool and just what we were looking for thanks! Are there any landmarks near the parking spot so that we can find it in case I miss a turn or something? Or cross streets etc. Thanks MG I really appreciate the inside scoop!!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from airport to Agios Nikolaos - difficult drive?

Hi again

Ok once you get to the Hermes or the coral hotels which are both located nearly next door to each other and on the right hand Side of the road then you have gone too far....... You will see the parking bays as you drive n on your left.... Have a great holiday

Nj
Level Contributor
311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from airport to Agios Nikolaos - difficult drive?

Gotcha thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos
Recent Conversations