We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour operators

north east england
Level Contributor
470 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
tour operators

We are arriving in Agios Nikolas mid June staying at the Lato Hotel, we have never stayed in a two star before but the reviews for this little place seem brill I especially like the sound of the location...we stayed in Rethymon a few years back and thanks to GBfromDevises and others like him the advice we got then and many times since has been sound.

I am wondering if there will be any tour operator shops to be recommended near our hotel as usually they are a lot cheaper than through the travel rep....also stayed in Tsilivi last year and ate some fantastic food, is there aplace for that "special" meal out as its our 31st wedding anniversary so that would be nice.

Any help will be great .

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: tour operators

GB - Your reply to my post above was rather rude, and condescending - and for no reason.

I will try to touch on the points you raised, but as someone who has obviously been on here for some time, I would expect a little more... decorum / etiquette online.

Firstly, either you're confused what was meant by the phrase I used, i.e 'scenic route' or you've taken this quite literally!

I have had first hand experience of the company I mentioned stopping at every resort from the airport to Agios Nikolaos to the point where transfers have taken nearly 2.5 hours. Considering how you can drive it in 45 minutes, or as most coach companies do, achieve it in 1hr to 1hr 30 minutes - including stops.

The reason for this ios because they seem to put as many people on as possible, regardless of where they're staying. I've seen coaches go from the airport, to Hersonissos, to Stalis, to Malia and then to Ag. Nik. Considering how many hotels are in each resort, is it any wonder why I was being fed horror stories on a weekly basis from guests wanting to save a little cash and not use their tour operator?

As for the 'business affiliations' remark, what could I possibly gain from recommending places considering I'm not going back to Crete anytime soon? This was just an insult plain and simple - and a rather hurtful one at that. This is what this website is all about! Recommending places to see, things to do and best places to take your business.

By all means, I encourage people to shop around - I'd be rather shocked if they didn't. But making insinuations on my character, without even knowing anything about me is really below the belt, and in my opinion - extremly childish and petty.

One of the reasons why excursions with tour operators are a little more expensive is because they are fully covered from start to finish. I'm not going into the technicalities of this, but it's something that many people feel comfortable with when holidaying abroad, especially if it's their first time.

Also, you'll no doubt find (if you can be bothered), that many of the tour operator prices are the same as local business because these excursions are dealt with by third-parties, who control how much is charged.

Examples of this would be Acqua Plus, WaterCity, Santorini (MegaJet) and Jeep Safari.

Such a shame I had to encounter my first hostile 'destination expert', which might I add is nothing special after reading about it. Perhaps you should get out more, and do some research. It's obvious your knowledge is rather outdated.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: tour operators

Hi Polly

My apologies, I didn't read all the way back through the thread but I had to respond to some of the comments in post #8 above, particularly the comment about this specific company "taking the scenic route whether it be a transfer or an excursion".

As for Travel advisor, just get over it, There was nothing insulting, condescending or whatever in my post above. It's blatantly obvious you don't know much about Crete when you post on a separate thread to tell a person that "Crete in late May is cool" as far as the weather's concerned.

Edited: 9:22 am, January 30, 2013
13. Re: tour operators

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos
Recent Conversations