We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour operators

north east england
Level Contributor
494 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
tour operators

We are arriving in Agios Nikolas mid June staying at the Lato Hotel, we have never stayed in a two star before but the reviews for this little place seem brill I especially like the sound of the location...we stayed in Rethymon a few years back and thanks to GBfromDevises and others like him the advice we got then and many times since has been sound.

I am wondering if there will be any tour operator shops to be recommended near our hotel as usually they are a lot cheaper than through the travel rep....also stayed in Tsilivi last year and ate some fantastic food, is there aplace for that "special" meal out as its our 31st wedding anniversary so that would be nice.

Any help will be great .

Mentioned in this post
Lato Hotel
Lato Hotel
482 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Tsilivi
Tsilivi
Zakynthos, Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour operators

Hello Polly

A good choice of hotel and in my favourite location in Agios too....its a great little hotel :-)

With regards to tour operators, you will find a good choice in the town, as you walk into Agios from your hotel they are on the right hand side, a couple that I can remember off the top of my head is Almo tours and also Byron tours...they display the trips on the window outside.

Regards to a special meal out....well there are so many great tavernas, in the town, however, my recommendation, and very romantic would be to either drive or get a taxi into Plaka and eat in one of the tavernas there that overlook the island of Spinalonga, very romantic and very beautiful too...if you ask the hotel I am sure that George on reception would be more than happy to make a reservation for you :-)

Heres a link to give you some idea of the view that you will have:

http://www.elounda77.net/virtualtour/plaka/

ALso if you dont like the look of Plaka and want to stay in Agios then just come back and I would be happy to give you some other recommendations.

north east england
Level Contributor
494 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour operators

Thanks for that Plaka looks lovely but recommendations in Agios would be a great help too :-)

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour operators

Hi there

Ok, but before I do give you my recommendation, can I just say that these are my favourites- but each trip we always eat somewhere new - so our "favourite" list does tend to change from visit to visit :-)

However these are the ones that we visit every trip and never seem to change:-

Knossos - 5 mins walk from your hotel...walk towards the town and knossos is opposite the beach on your left hand side - good value for money, lovely atmosphere and good food too.

Chrisofyllis - in the centre of town, cross over the bridge walk up the street up the side of the pizza restaurant "twins" once you reach the beach turn left and you will see Chrisofyllis on your left hand side - only does meze but they are the best meze in Agios and also lots of different dishes too, so not the usual dishes you see everywhere...may need to get there early if its a weekend as its always full of locals so does get very busy

Embassy - Just next to the taxi rank in the centre of town walk up the side street from where the taxi's park and its up on your left hand side - does the best Souvlaki and lovely little garden court yard too.

Avli - as you walk into town just after the tourist/car hire shop Byron you will see a street on your right hand side, walk up here and the Avil taverna is turn left once you get to the top of the hill....its up a dark street so not easy to see the restaurant is in a small courtyard with grape vines, very pretty...this is a typical family run taverna, so if you want quick service dont go here...but the food is good and very cheap too

So these are our "must visits" - however, none of them are very expensive, so if you want a very special meal you may want to look at somewhere like Migomis, which has the most beautiful view of the lake - we havent ever eaten here and every time we visit we promise that we will...it does have a good reputation in the town

Here a link to their web site : http://www.migomis.com/index.html

Also heres a link to all the reviewed restaurants in Agios for more info :

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g189414-Agios_…

Mentioned in this post
Chrisofyllis
Chrisofyllis
521 Reviews
Crete, Greece
north east england
Level Contributor
494 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour operators

Wow thanks very much thats a great help, i have wrote them down...sad eh.

I will no doubt l be asking for more help as time goes on...Thanks once again.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour operators

Hi Polly

No not sad at all....I have just done exactly the same for a trip to Tenerife next month.....:-)

and just ask away if you want to know anything :-)

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
north east england
Level Contributor
494 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour operators

I hope you have a great holiday in tenerife...do you know the price of the bottled beer mythos in the bars/tavernas? And how much would half litre of wine be with a meal? Don't usually drink wine in Greece but might give it a try.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tour operators

Hi Polly

Thanks will try to :-) .................We usually drink the village wine by the litre and generally its around 3 euros and Mythos (hubby normally drinks draught not bottled) and is 5 euros for a large beer....and cocktails are around 7 euros and G & Ts 6 euros............but like anywhere its really depends on where you drink.

As you are staying in the Lato there is a happy hour from 6.00 - 8.00 we dont stay here but do often pop in for a drink on our way into the town :-)

Mentioned in this post
Lato
Lato
102 Reviews
Crete, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tour operators

Although the Lato is not one of the hotels my company has on their books, it's a fantastic place - and IMO, worthy of an extra star. I've heard many great things about it. You're also a nice walk from town - not too far, but not too close. You're looking at 10 mins with fantastic views out to see along the way.

There are an abundance of places to go for tours, but please make sure you do your research. I've had guests booking trips not through myself, and finding out the transfers are twice as long. If possible, try to avoid any that use Deltanet. They enjoy going the scenic route whether it's airport transfers or an excursion. Also, make sure you're covered for cancellations etc... Some tours will require entrance fees on site, such as Spinalonga and Knossos. This is the same all over the island and it's something that can't be paid for in advance but you will be issued a ticket.

I would recommend Economy tours. There's a lovely lady that works there, and while it's primarily a car hire firm, they also sell trips.

As for restaurants, there are many to choose from, and thankfully not too far away. I've written a couple of reviews recently, and hope to write a few more - the important ones are on here now though ;)

Have a fantastic holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Lato
Lato
102 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tour operators

I'm sorry but I don't get this. Why on earth would any transfer company willingly take a "scenic route" between airport and accommodation? What possible motive could they have for doing this? All on board will have paid a fixed rate for the transfer so why use additional fuel and thus, increase cost to the company by taking the less-than-direct route to a hotel or apartments?

What do you reckon they do? - collect you at the airport for a transfer to Stalis and then take you for an hour's ride through the back streets of Iraklion?

As for excursion companies "taking the scenic route", well, if I'd paid for one, I'd reasonably expect them to take a scenic route. Again, what possible motive could an excursion company have or need to do this?

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but it sounds like you have business affiliations on the island and are doing your best to push potential clients in their direction.

Polly, there are loads of reputable transfer companies who will whisk you to your hotel in the minimum of time, look at A2B Transfers, ResortHoppa, Transfers4U and others. Just Google for their websites and booking facilities.

As for "excursion agencies", there are plenty in Ag Nik, take your pick, you'll get a good deal and whatever you do, don't book the trips via the hotel or the reps, they will be dearer and you will end up on the same coach as those who've probably paid 15-20% more than you have.

Mentioned in this post
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
north east england
Level Contributor
494 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tour operators

Hi GB i hadnt asked for any info on transfer companies as I have always booked a package holiday inc transfers . I only wanted info on excursions...think I got caught in the transfers crossfire.... lol

Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos
Recent Conversations