We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Vathi/Crete (Daios Cove) at the end of May/June

Which Agios Nikolaos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in Vathi/Crete (Daios Cove) at the end of May/June

Hi there,

I'm looking to travel to the Daois Cove hotel in the school holidays which are the 26th to 2nd June. (school teacher so it has to be these dates) I'm just wondering whether anyone could tell me roughly what the weather would be like? We'd like to get a private pool room but have heard that the pools are very cold, so if the temperature doesnt get too high I guess they would be freezing!

I've looked at the average temperatures on the websites but obviously its always better to get a real opinion on people who have been there for how hot it feels.

Thanks for your help :)

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Vathi/Crete (Daios Cove) at the end of May/June

Hello there

Yes end of May start of June is a lovely time to visit Crete, the weather is just starting to get warm as is the sea, you can expect temperatures early to mid 20s and its pleasant to sit out at night too.

Its also a lovely time to discover this beautiful island, I am assuming that as you are staying in Daois Coves Hotel that you will be hiring a car ? as the location is very isolated.

If you would like any suggestions of places to visit etc then please do just ask.

Gavalochori, Greece
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Vathi/Crete (Daios Cove) at the end of May/June

Hi Pantobabe,

We've spent May & June in western Crete for the last 10 years and it's a great time of year as the island warms up, before it burns-out! Driving through the countryside all is green and there are still spring flowers to be seen, although the winter landslips and road damage may not have been fixed yet. Snow should still be lingering on the mountaintops.

Looking at records I'd say seaside daily highs in the 25 to 30 range are typical for the end May/beginning June, with a chance of a rain shower and a very low chance of a 40deg heatwave. Pools might have just have been filled (after getting silted by the "red rain"!), and not had maximum sun so may feel a little chilly. Sea temperature should be 21-23deg, as it peaks later in October.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Vathi/Crete (Daios Cove) at the end of May/June

Hi again

Snow capped mountains does sound lovely, but unfortunately you wont see them this side of the island of Crete this time of the year, the latest that I have seen the mountains that surround the airport of Heraklion tipped in snow was the last week of April a few years ago.......

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Vathi/Crete (Daios Cove) at the end of May/June

Does anyone recommend staying a whole stay in Crete in Vathi? or is it better to stay in a town and then use the Vathi resorts to relax??

If we do need to drive - is it cheaper to hire a car or hire a driver?

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Vathi/Crete (Daios Cove) at the end of May/June

Hi there

Vathi where the Daios Cove hotel is isnt really a resort, village or town...its just an area, with a pretty cove...... with nothing much there apart from this hotel.....its cheaper to hire a car than it is to hire a driver or taxi....for a cost guide you are looking at paying around 25 euros per day for a class A car hire.

6. Re: Weather in Vathi/Crete (Daios Cove) at the end of May/June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos