We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

temple of knosses

new york
Level Contributor
12 posts
46 reviews
temple of knosses

we will be arriving by cruise ship for the day and would like to visit

the temple of knosses, what is the best way to get there as I understand it is 45 minutes from town.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,299 posts
229 reviews
1. Re: temple of knosses

Hi there

There are a couple of different choices...firstly I am sure that the ship will have organised a trip to Knossos....which no doubt will be fairly expensive or you could arrange a hire car to meet you once the ship docks in Agios, its an easy 45 min drive to Knossos, once you arrive at Knossos you can either choose to wander around the site on your own, or there are organised tours that you can join............ time wise you should allow around 2 hours at the site.

Another alternative if you didnt want to drive would be to hire a car and a driver to take you to knossos...not sure how much this would cost but you could contact the tourist information office in the town of Agios who I am sure would be able to organise this type of tour for you....

If you have a day in Agios then there would still be plenty of time to visit other places, for example you would still have time to visit Spinalonga or visit an inland village, or just a nice taverna for a chilled out lunch etc..... let me know what your preference is and I can then give you some more information..

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: temple of knosses

Are you sure you dock in Agios Nicolaos ? Than it's more than 1,30 hour to Knossos by coach or car. Will you have enough time ? And than KNossos is not a Temple, but a Palast from the Minoans, the first civili zation in Europe. Start reading something before you come on Crete and hire a guide when you visit Knossos

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,299 posts
229 reviews
3. Re: temple of knosses

Hi again

It will take you just under an hour to drive from Agios to Knossos and its an easy drive too along the national road :-) The majority of ships dock in Agios at around 8.00 am so by the time you pick up your car etc you will get to Knossos around 10..00 am.... then a couple of hours to walk around - so you will still have enough time to drive back to Agios - and have the afternoon free...as most ships leave the port of Agios around 6.00 pm :-)

new york
Level Contributor
12 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: temple of knosses

thanks for your help! I usually prefer not taking boat excursions and am not

that comfortable renting a car, so I will probably contact the tourist office

about getting a car and driver. we have a full day, so I am not worried about

getting back to the boat on time.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,299 posts
229 reviews
5. Re: temple of knosses

HI there

Here is the contact details for the tourist information office in the town of Agios

Tel:+30 28410 22357, Fax.: +30 28410 82534, E-mail: infoagn@otenet.gr

Have a great trip :-)

6. Re: temple of knosses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 02, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos