We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agios Nikolaos

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Agios Nikolaos

I am staying at the Mirabella Apts in Sept which i believe are about 20/30 mins outside main town. Has anyone got anyone info on this or best places to visit. Also can you give me any idea on prices of drinks and food as we are self catering,and this is our first visit to Greece.Is the bus service good and also is it worth hiring a car whilst out there

Thanks

Sue

Edited: 4:17 am, June 30, 2012
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,408 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agios Nikolaos

Hi sue

Welcome to the forum :-) The Mirabella Apartments are approx 30 - 40 min walking into the centre of Agios, although there are lots of tavernas on your walk into town if you dont fancy walking into town one evenng.

My recommendation would be to hire a car as it does give you so much more flexibility, and means that you are able to stop where you like the look of :-) as a budget guide you are looking at around 25 euros per day for a basic class A car. There are lots of very good local car hire companies in the town, but for the last few years we have used Club Cars and have been very pleased with their service. There is also an excellent bus service in Crete, and Agios has a bus station in the town with links to other parts of the island, the buses in Crete are like air con coaches rather than what we in the UK think as buses.

Cost of food in the supermarkets: you are probably looking at round the same sort of prices as in the UK - especially if you shop in the tourist type supermarkets - another reason to get a car would be so that you are able to go to some of the larger out of town supermarkets like Lidl - which we where we stock up on water, soft drinks etc etc. There is also a weekly market in the centre of Agios on a Wednesday where you will be able to purchase much cheaper locally produced fruit and veg.

Eating out: there are a few tavernas on your walk into town that do set meals, e.g. three courses for 9 euros, one in particular which is excellent is Knossos just opposite the Ammoudi Beach. Another cheap way of eating, and our favourite is to eat meze, as the locals do, rather than a starter and main course, you eat lots of small plates of food. Its best to order 5 small dishes (for two people) e.g. greek salad, meat balls, fava, greens, stuff peppers, prawn Saganaki,,,,,the list goes on and on...and also this is a an excellent way to try all the different foods too ..most meze dishes are around 4 euros a dish, with regards to wine I would suggest you order the local village or house wine, you order this by the 1/4 1/2 or litre, this is usually around 5 euros per 1/2 litre and is of a good quality. Beer - if you drink the local greek beer its around 4 euros in a taverna but less in many of the local bars and Gin & Tonic around 5 euros.

With regards to where to visit, there are lots of different places to visit in this area, what are your interests? I can then point you in the right direction :-) any other questions on Agios then please do just ask :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agios Nikolaos

Thankyou very much, this has helped us a lot. We would like to see some of the culture,so some sight seeing is a must for us.

Again thankyou and we will take all what you have said as a guidence, and we will try Knossos as well.

Sue

Milford Haven...
Level Contributor
449 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agios Nikolaos

sue,

one thing i would like to add to what mg100 has said.

I stayed at the mirabella apts in june 2010. massive rooms i have to say, but i was eaten alive by mozzies, due to the lovely flowers and bushes, so please take a plug in (we didn't). rooms were kept spotless and run by a family. they have a very small shop on site, but you can get basics from there, and the food looked really nice and reasonably priced, (we didn't eat there) beer and wine very good price too. english lady worked the bar on a night, very informative and lovely.

If you walk into town, call in for a soft drink / beer or coffee to stavros bar across from the private nursery, its on the left hand side around 15 mins walk from the mirabella. maria is lovely a tall grey haired lady with glasses, she is mad as a hatter, very very cheap to eat and drink there, the inside is like a massive living room once you walk past the tables, it's for her grandkids, altho spotless, quiet through the day, but very busy of an evening.

the knossos is a very good restaurant, run by father and son (william and nic) and as mg says try the meze its lush. lots of lovely places on the walk down to ag nic, you are also across the road from the bus stop to elounda where you may wish to try for an evening meal. last bus around 8.15 i think and around 10 euro for a taxi back.

enjoy

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,408 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agios Nikolaos

Hi sue

Just to add to Dawns excellent recomendations, if it was my first trip to Agios and Crete then I would definately want to do a few trips.....

Knossos: Just an hour from Agios if you hire a car then its an easy drive and parking is fine too..if you want to do an organised trip then lots of travel agents in the town have trips, have a look as you walk into Agios...Byron Travel etc etc

Spinalonga: Just 10 mins from your apartments, you have a f ew choices as to how you go to the island, either via the boats that leave from the town on a daily basis, many of these also combine the trip with a BBQ and a swim too, around 14 euros from the centre of Agios. Or you could also go from the small pretty village of Plaka which is 15 mins drive from your apartments, from the village you need to catch the small boat that leaves every 30 mins (first boat leaves Plaka at 9.00 am) and cost 8 euros, and then 2 euros to get onto the island....this would be my preferred way to travel to the island because of the chance to see the lovely village of Plaka, after walking around the island you get the chance to have lunch in Plaka or have a swim after.....at the small pebble beach.

Best beach if you hire a car: Golden or Voulisma Beach 15 min drive from Agios and the best beach on the north coast of Crete.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23878553@N03/6290887559/

Also if you do hire a car then drive up to the Lassithi Plateau...beautiful, and especially if its hot down on the coast, there are also some beautiful villages to stop off for a lunch too

explorecrete.com/crete-east/lassithi-plateau…

and finally if you do have time then I would go to the village of Milatos, 20 min drive from Agios pretty little village on the coast and always on our list every trip for a lovely laid back lunch, looking over the sea :-)

http://www.east-crete.com/milatos.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agios Nikolaos

Hi

Thankyou very much everyone for your comments, I have noted all of them,and I am now really looking forward to our trip.

Many thanks

Sue

Milford Haven...
Level Contributor
449 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agios Nikolaos

when are you going in sept sue? we will be in elounda 13th sept for 2 wks and i must say the last 3 yrs at this time has been fab weather. day and night. rained one night 2 yrs ago i think, mind you it was a heavy downpour, altho didn't last long.

enjoy your trip

england
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Agios Nikolaos

Hi Sue,

I go at least twice a year, def hire a car, Ag Nik is lovely, and the island is beutiful. Eating out is about resonable.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Agios Nikolaos

sue we have just returned from a glorious week in aghios nikoloas this resort really has everything you could wish for

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Agios Nikolaos

Hi,

We going on 18th sept for 1 week, really looking forward to it

Sue

Milford Haven...
Level Contributor
449 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Agios Nikolaos

sue. u wil av a fab time. weather wil b good also. we go the 13th for 2 wks. if you do not hire a car you are in a great spot for the bus. you can pick up a bus time table from ag nic near the taxi rank t the right of the lake near the t junction. from the bus station u have loads of destinations t choose from. kritsa is lovely. buses every 2 hours i think. neapolis is nice n quiet n good for a walk round. buses evry half hour i think. on the heraklion bus. we went t malia for the afternoon and altho noisy on the front we found some lovely tavernas in the back street. worth a couple of hours just t say youve been. iepetra. i didnt like. ful of shops. i dont do shopping on hol not my scene. but the promanade nice wíth over expensive cafe bars. and dont 4get you can do elounda and plaka from bus stop outside your apartments. so much more t do and see. the sisters at your apts are very helpful and advise on best beach if that your thing. enjoy

Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos
Recent Conversations