We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 night stay Agios Nikolaos

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
3 night stay Agios Nikolaos

Hi,

I'll be staying in Agios Nikolaos for 3 nights in about a month. As this is just a short time, I was wondering if anyone has tips on things I absolutely have to see or do. Are there any must see's apart from the town itself? I quite like hidden gems and not keen on big touristy attractions but I will be travelling by public transport.

Many thanks,

Claudia

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 night stay Agios Nikolaos

Hi Claudia

Yes, there's plenty to do and see, all of which is easily accessed by bus from Ag Nik's station.

Take the bus to Plaka than the boat across to Spinalonga island, an enjoyable and thought provoking experience. Spinalonga is a fortified island that in more recent times (until the early 1950s) was a leper colony. if you've read "the island" by Victoria Hislop, well, this is "the island".

Spinalonga

flickr.com/photos/…

Bus to Iraklion itself, full of wonderful antiquities, you need a good 5-6 hours wandering to see it all, and couple this with a ride out to Knossos, take the #2 bus from the same station as your bus from Ag Nik terminates at in Iraklion.

Knossos

flickr.com/photos/…

Iraklion

flickr.com/photos/…

Bus to Malia Palace, about halfway between Ag Nik and Iraklion, lovely, often overlooked Minoan remains. If you don't mind a walk ( about 2 kms each way), stop off at Sissi, a pretty little harbour town with plenty to do and see.

Malia Palace

flickr.com/photos/…

Sissi

flickr.com/photos/…

Take the bus to the inland town of Neapoli, it is bustling with a wide central square often with fruit and veg vendors, a stunning church, several museums and plenty of places for a bite to eat and a drink. Neapoli used to be the provincial capital of the Lassithi prefecture, well worth 2-3 hours.

Neapoli

flickr.com/photos/…

Don't forget the sights in Ag Nik, especially Lake Voulisgena in the town centre, reputed to be bottomless.

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157612483683872

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157612483683872

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 night stay Agios Nikolaos

Hi Claudia

The "must see" thing, although its hardly a hidden gem is to visit the island of Spinalong during your three days. There are two ways that you can do this,either by walking into the town of Agios and catching the boat from there or by catching the bus that goes into Elounda and then into Plaka, from Plaka you can catch a small boat(in the photo on the link) that leaves from Plaka to the Island of Spinalonga. Here is a link about Spinalonga

explorecrete.com/crete-east/spinalonga.html

Plaka a few years ago, was quite unspolit and a rustic village, but over the last few years, and in particular since the Victoria Hislop book" the island" followed by the Greek TV series, it has changed with designated parking spaces, large coaches waiting in the village etc. but having said that it is still definately worth seeing :-) and there are some lovely tavernas overlooking the island too and a small beach if you fancy a swim after walking around the island. My advice would be catch the first boat across to the island at 10.00 am as this means you get on the island before all the boat trips arrive from both Agios and Elounda.

Another very Greek experience I think, its eating in Itanos restaurant in the centre of Agios, this is a traditional Greek taverna, where you go into the back of the taverna and are shown what they are cooking that day, so there isnt a menu...you eat what is in season, and it is very popular with the greeks especially at lunch times. If you walk up the street that is parallel with the lake then turn left at the square, across the far corner you will see a smart clothes shop, Itanos is up that side street, there are few tables outside on the street.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189414-…

I would also take a trip to the village of Neaopli, this is a proper Greek village with a pretty square and church with some traverans and cafes if you look on the bus timetable that Pete provided details should be on there...also you wont find bus loads of tourists wandering around here as you do with Kritsa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapoli,_Crete

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kritsa

I would also recommend that you walk around Agios, many visitors think that the town is just a tourist destination, and while is does attract many visitors in the summer months Agios is a working Greek town, so to get a proper feel for the place wander around the back streets - you will find some little bars and tavernas that dont often see anytourists as many people dont tend to stray from the main streets around the lake area.

www.aghiosnikolaos.gr/index.php…

Hope that helps :-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 night stay Agios Nikolaos

Thank you both for the elaborate information, I might need to extend my stay in Agios :-)

Very good tips and MG, I love the Itanos idea!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 night stay Agios Nikolaos

Pleased to help Claudia hope you enjoy your holiday in Agios :-)

5. Re: 3 night stay Agios Nikolaos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos