We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aghios Nikolaos

Which Agios Nikolaos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Aghios Nikolaos

Im 27 my boyfriends 30 Ive been looking to go to greece at the end of sept this year for a week. Ive been to tsilivi in zante and dont think id go back there, so wanted to try somewhere new. So Ive been looking at Agios Nikolaos (I want somewhere very hot, a nice but lively place, great food and most important a lovely beach!), so just have a few Qs...

1) Is it good weather at end of sept and is everything still open?

2) Is the beach nice?

3) Is there much to do eg. trips/waterpark/mini golf etc?

4) Is there a choice of you having a quiet or lively night?

like I said Ive been to tsilivi and the thing that i didnt like was that if you wanted a drink past midnight nowhere was open (not that i want to stay out till 7 in morning-cant do it anymore!) where sometimes id just liked to have had a couple more drinks and a dance somewhere, whereas Ive been to ayia napa and love it you definitely have the choice of quiet/loud as you like and its a lovely place with stuff to do and a gorgeous beach! But as I said I want to try somewhere different

Thanks! any suggestions on any other greek/turkish destinations which include the above would be great (no shingle beaches though)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aghios Nikolaos

Hi there

Crete is a long way south so in theory, lae September still should be very good weather although of course, there are never any guarantees. We have stayed on north Creteas late as the last week of October and had sizzling weather so you should be fine. Everything will be open for sure.

Agios Nikolaos is a buzzing town, with plenty to do and see, a big selection of bars and restaurants, shops and some very good beaches, my favourite being Almiros, a couple of kms south of the town. There will be loads of places open until the early hours.

As with any Greek resort, you can please yourselves how noisy or not your nights out are, once away from the town central area, things quieten down.

There are plenty of trips available from local excursion offices, top one would be Spinalonga island which sits north of the resort close to Plaka and Elounda. There are waterparks to the west of Ag Nik at Acquaplus, south of Hersonissos, Star Beach to the east of Hersonissos, and the newer one Waterworld near Anopoli, south of Gournes which again, is west of Ag Nik.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,949 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aghios Nikolaos

Hi

I also agree with all what GB has said regarding Ag Nik it's a lovely buzzing town with some excellent restaurants, cafes etc etc.. We really enjoyed it and ended up twice staying close to the town.

There are some nice beaches which were mentioned by GB post we also enjoyed swimming one day at Almiros beach and a few others close by.

I don't think you will be disappointed with Ag Nik it certainly ticks all your questions.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aghios Nikolaos

thanykou for the replies, it looks and sounds great! sorry to ask again but how close are the waterparks? i wont be driving so are they easily accesible by bus? thanks

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aghios Nikolaos

Hi there

Just to add to all the excellent info already given, Agios has three main bars that stay open late, these are Alexandros Roof Gardens, Sorrentos and Aquarius and generally stay open until 3 or 4 am, these bars all have facebook pages have a look and see what you think.

With regards to beaches there are three main beaches in the town, two of these being sandy. Have a look at this link for Amoudi beach

greekhotel.com/crete/…home.htm

which is the most popular.

If you do decide on Agios would be happy to give you some hotel info

5. Re: Aghios Nikolaos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 05, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos