We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glass of red house wine

UK
Level Contributor
671 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Glass of red house wine

Sometimes fancy just a glass of red wine if we don't want to order a bottle, but do they usually serve it really cold from the fridge or from a barrel or is it more like room temperature like we have it here ? Thanks

14 replies to this topic
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
24,746 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glass of red house wine

I have certainly had local red wine by the glass (or small carafe) not chilled.

UK
Level Contributor
671 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glass of red house wine

Thanks, experienced it served icy cold a couple of times in Turkey and Greece and I'm not keen on it like that although I understand the sentiment if it's a hot evening. Is there a particular Greek phrase to use do you know to order it?

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe
Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glass of red house wine

Κρασί κόκκινο, παγωμένο / Krassi kokkino pagomeno / Red wine chilled Though you are more likely to find chilled white wine. It's unusual to drink red wine chilled.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,746 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glass of red house wine

Jean they are looking for the red wine served not chilled......and I'll leave the Greek to you ;-) :-)

UK
Level Contributor
671 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glass of red house wine

That's right I like my white chilled but not the red.

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glass of red house wine

Well, if you don't want it chilled just ask for red wine. Κόκκινο kρασί / Kokkino krassi It would be very unusual for it to come chilled.

Edited: 3:49 pm, June 10, 2018
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,522 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glass of red house wine

Paula it wasn't quite clear to me either whether you like your red wine chilled or not!

I have probably drunk several hundred litres of house red in Crete over 30 years and have never had it served at anything lower than room temperature (i.e. not chilled: room temperature can of course vary with the air temperature).

You can order it by the glass, or the half or quarter litre. No-one will try to get you to order more than you want.

We've had chilled red wine in Paris, and queried it to be told "that is how we like it in Paris". We were sure it was a passing fad: it only happened once, and the chances are it was a mistake that the waiter was trying to cover. Unsuccessfully, as we sent it back.

Edited: 4:39 pm, June 10, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,746 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glass of red house wine

A little off topic but there are a few red wines (I don't mean Cretan wines) that are better served chilled and perhaps that explains the comment made in Paris.

p.s. and post 2 was pretty clear

Edited: 4:43 pm, June 10, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,522 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glass of red house wine

I know: some of the lighter ones can do with a bit of chill. But not the sort of full-bodied one we ordered, and that had clearly come straight out of the fridge.

UK
Level Contributor
671 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glass of red house wine

Thanks all it's good to know chilled is not the norm then maybe we were unlucky before but yes it's happened to us with bottles also.

Reply to: Glass of red house wine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos
;