We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
34 posts
106 reviews
36 helpful votes
AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

Hello,

we're going to Crete next week for 7 days and we're looking for a reliable rental car.

So, we find this (http://www.athenscars.gr) that seem cheap for a Suzuki Jimny at only 189,70 € all inclusive.

Opinion about it?

Thanks

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
469 reviews
4,745 helpful votes
61. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

It's a real shame to read numerous negative experiences of Athens Cars starting to come through on the forum as in the past often the cars can be older but well maintained and this is reflected in the price and the service is good. The mood of the feedback has been changing this season though which is sad to see.

sligo
Level Contributor
703 posts
62. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

True goanjock but most of these seem to be one post wonders.

I did not hire a car this year but never had any issues in past and two friends that did hire 2 cars from them in September had no problems and got new cars.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
156 reviews
125 helpful votes
63. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

Hired twice this year with no problems.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
469 reviews
4,745 helpful votes
64. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

Good to hear as they have always been one of the three most recommended (by numerous members) local companies on the forum. I hope if they have had some issues this year they get them ironed out (and I am sure the owner/management will keep an eye on forums such as TA for feedback).

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
65. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

We have just returned from Crete and hired a car from Athens Cars at Heraklion Airport. We arrived at nearly midnight and had to pay the additional 20 euros for the staff to stay late, which was more reasonable than others. We paid 187 euros for 11 days, which compared well with the 60 euros asked each way for the hotel transfer taxi! Our car was a fairly well used Chevvy Matiz, but she was fine! Reliable and cheap on fuel. Small to to park too! Yes, she did have a few scratches on collection which the Athens manager was not really concerned about, but much rather that than worrying about every passing car during our hire! The staff at the Athens Office were helpful and very efficient. Thankfully, there was no pressure to add extra insurance! So, we recommend and would hire again from Athens Cars.

3 posts
66. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

I just returned from Greece. We spent 10 days in Greece and 4 days in Crete. We had a wonderful trip apart from the terrible experience we had with Athens Car Crete.

I hired a Volkswagen Caddy as we were a big group. The moment I put it on 1st gear a pungent smell along with smoke started coming out of the bonnet. I thought it might be a problem with the car and called Mr Babis immediately.

To tell you about Mr Babis, he is the most rude and inhumane person I have met in my life. He came and started shouting on us ignoring that we had kids. The moment he entered he started saying we have ruined his car though we have hardly gone 100 metres in his car. He started treating us as if we are his slaves. He yelled at my wife and 3 year old son asking them to come out of the car immediately. He almost dashed my friend's wife while taking away the car.

My point is your car or whatever you are selling might have problem but the way he treated his customers is totally unacceptable.

I will request all those who read this post never hire a car from Athens Car Crete, they specially Mr Babis will leave no stone unturned to turn your holiday into a nightmare.

Later on we hired a car from Speed Car Agency and everything went smoothly from there.

Belvedere, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
16 helpful votes
67. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

member since 2016 first post is to slag off a reputable company

3 posts
68. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

Do u have a problem with that? I wrote what I faced if u have a problem with that u should deal with it

Belvedere, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
16 helpful votes
69. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

very helpful we should have more people like you on the forum nobody would go on holiday

well done youve doubled your posts

3 posts
70. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

It’s up to others to trust or not. Btw why u r so bothered about this company’s reputation?

And yes this is my 3rd post. Don’t forget to congratulate me

© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.