We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
34 posts
106 reviews
36 helpful votes
AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

Hello,

we're going to Crete next week for 7 days and we're looking for a reliable rental car.

So, we find this (http://www.athenscars.gr) that seem cheap for a Suzuki Jimny at only 189,70 € all inclusive.

Opinion about it?

Thanks

1 post
101. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

I recently rented a car from Athenscars after reading positive reviews here. My own experience was a bit disappointing. There was someone waiting at arrival gate and then it was a short walk to the rental location, so no complaints at all there. But keep in mind, there are some many rental choices at the same location. All the appropriate insurance seems to be in place as well, so again that was good. The problem was the car itself. It was advertised as *NEW*, that's why we booked it. It had 25,000 kms, did not feel new at all and was underpowered, not what we expected. The most annoying thing was the clutch on the manual transmission. I´m used to driving manual and have rented manual cars of the same class on several occasions, but this car was different. You had to remove your foot so quickly from the clutch on first gear. I found it very weird. In the beginning I had the feeling I'm gonna stall the car everytime. If you don't release the clutch quick enough, the car would just keep revving and not move. Got a hang of it after a while, but it was not enjoyable. We have rented similar car classes many times before but never had this problem. Another minor annoyance was that the tire pressure warning came on right after we left the lot and was on and off during the whole week. Next time in Crete, we will try another rental company.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
102. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

Hi there,

You haven't mentioned which airport you will arrive at? I guess it will be Herakilon? If so, there are a mass of car hire companies just outside the arrivals building. To me, 190 euros for 7 days seems quite expensive. We paid, from memory, about 89 euros for 10 days from Athens Car Hire. OK, we got a pretty beat-up Matiz, with about a zillion miles on the clock, but everything worked. Yes, there were a couple of bumps and a few scrapes, but the hire agent said they didn't mind if we added a few more! If doing this again, I would search the Internet and perhaps use Zest Car Hire, who are a broker, based in the UK. You book the car through them and if you have any problems at the car hire desk, a call to them should sort out any problems. This should isolate you from the actual local company and provide a degree of additional insurance against unexpected charges. Hopefully, that's what we expect on our holiday to Sardinia next week when we will be using Zest! Good luck1

Dordogne, France
Level Contributor
51 posts
243 reviews
255 helpful votes
103. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

Pour la 3 ème fois nous avons réservé une voiture à AthensCars pour 2 semaines en Septembre.

Pas de problème.

Nous recommandons.

104. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

My husband and I rented a car at https://www.athenscars.gr/

For 2 weeks (09/04 - 09/18) a small Peugeot 108 cost was 303 euro. With insurance, which was usefull. No additional payments or frozen money on credit card.

What I liked:

- Payment amount is calculated on website as soon as you specify dates and car class. We payed exactly the same cost as was listed in reservation sheet.

- Agent greets you at the airport with the car so you don't need to drag your luggage anywhere.

- ... and agent will drive you straight to the airport entrance when you drop the car.

- No worry about scratches. (Local bikers are insane.)

Car was in good condition, all scratches were noted in the sheet. All in all scratches doen't matter as they are under the insurance. The only case where insurance is not applied is bottom of the car (damage that can be done offroad).

They were nice and car experience smooth so I definitely recommend athenscars.gr rental.

(And yes, I posted this comment to other Crete car rental threads 'cos I really enjoyed renting the car. I was soooo afraid of problems with rented cars that the relief after using AthensCars Crete was huge. :) )

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
156 reviews
125 helpful votes
105. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

Just gave my 108 back last night too after two weeks of driving around. No problems with the car and only cost 210 Euros for the two weeks. Car had 11500 Kms on the clock and I put on another 1000. He did pull me up for a scratch on the front that he said was not there before, but it was marked on the paperwork. Sixth time of renting from them and never had a problem with the various cars we have rented. Will rent again from them next

June when we return.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
15,250 posts
79 reviews
101 helpful votes
106. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

I'm just a bit concerned, what would have happened if the scratch hadn't been noted on the paperwork? I thought they had a zero excess like many other local companies?

107. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?
Save

When we were renting our car they said that they are conserned only about functional damage and damage under the car. We had scratch on the passangers door not noted in the paper and it was ok.

108. Re: AthensCars Crete car Hire is reliable?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.