We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caravel car rental

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
116 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Caravel car rental

Hi

I will rent a car in Crete for 11 days. Most of the companies are offering A class cars for 300-400 euro, but, there is a company called Caravel (http://www.caravel.gr/) that is offering it for just 200

Have you ever rented a car with them?

Thanks

49 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,479 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caravel car rental

Have you done a thorough comparison check of what is offered for this price? Partlcularly what the insurance covers? Don't risk getting caught with extras that may inflate the price to beyond the prices charged by rival companies.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
116 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caravel car rental

Thank you for the answer

I have checked and they offer the same as other companies, so i cant see where is the trick

Is there any other company that you should recommend for renting a car in Crete?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,479 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caravel car rental

No: it's years since we've rented a car. But there are plenty of posters who will see your question and reply, I'm sure.

For starters, many people like this one:

http://www.autorentals-crete.gr/en/index.html

Edited: 6:56 am, June 24, 2013
London
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Caravel car rental

I believe the safest way is to go with a car rental broker such as http://www.carhirecrete.com

Firstly there is no excess (No CDW, just super CDW) so the liability in case of accident is zero.

Secondly, by using a broker, you ensure that the local car rental agency will be forced to stick with the agreement, because the re-seller policies are pretty strict. Plus, the price will be much smaller, because the rates are negotiated in bulk by the broker.

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
6 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caravel car rental

Don't touch this company they are absolute thieves. I wanted to decline the extra insurance because i have travel insurance. The sales person told me my credit card was declined which would have given security for the excess. They did not show me a decline printout. They said i will have to pay the extra insurance or ring the bank (overseas). I believe she just pretended the card was declined. We tried 2 cards and one i had just used previously but she said both are declined. This is just a scam to get you to pay the insurance,the great car hire rip off. So i ended up with the most expensive car i have ever hired in any country and the worst!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caravel car rental

Hi there

You don't mention when you will be travelling, but you should be able to rent an A class car for around €25 per day, and that daily rate should lower the longer you hire for. So, for 11 days, I wouldn't be looking to spend more than €275 and hopefully, rather less.

Of course, if you require an automatic car, or you are going in peak season ( which is just about upon us now), the cost will be higher.

Each to their own but I would never use the services of a broker. You have no way of knowing who they will place you with and I for one would want my money going to a local island firm than a multinational, which does little service for the island's economy.

Edited: 5:35 am, July 20, 2013
Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
6 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caravel car rental

Just to clarify my post i was refering to the caravel company, not a broker.

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caravel car rental

It's a trick that often happens in Greece. They don't like credit cards and invent everything not to accept them.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caravel car rental

Hi again

I know you weren't talking about a broker, but a specific company. All I was saying that I wouldn't use the services of a broker as was suggested by a previous poster on this thread. You hear many stories on these forums about people who have used a broker, and ended up with rubbishy cars in poor condition, badly maintained, not the models they asked for or booked, and an often couldn't care less attitude from them when things go wrong.

€200 seems cheap to me for 11 days, just make sure it does include full insurance.

London
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Caravel car rental

Don't trust the quote on the website.Make sure the so-called Special All-risk insurance cover is included in black and white which waives all the excesses in case of an accident whether its your fault or not. The 100% Full Insurance....etc don't mean a thing as it still carries an excess of thousand of pounds-its a con so they can bump up their charges when you come to collect the car typically 10-20 euros per day for switching to the special cover.Car rental is a big business in Crete and be warned about the 100% Full insurance advertised everywhere in the local shops.Caravel is one of these companies and their cars are old.

Reply to: Caravel car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted