We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Best" restaurants in Crete

Lake Charles, LA
Level Contributor
109 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
"Best" restaurants in Crete

Tripadvisor ranks several restaurants as "best in Crete." I will be staying in Rethymnon and do not think it wise to drive far distances at night to eat dinner. One solution to my problem of wanting to sample this food but not drive at night would be to go for lunch while touring the cities. Can anyone comment on whether Spyros Taverna (Gouves) or Dounias (Drakona) serve lunch? What hours may these restauants serve lunch, and do I need to make a reservation? Thank you.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Best" restaurants in Crete

Hi there

Although I think the TA restaurant reviews are good, I only ever used them as a "general guide".

When staying in a new place, and looking for the best traditional food, I tend to stay away from the most popular tourist areas, (e.g. the harbour area in Rethymnon) don't eat anywhere where they have pictures of the menu displayed outside. I also look for a place that is popular with the locals, these usually tends to be in a little back street with not the "wonderful" view that many of the more tourist trap restaurants tends to have.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,920 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Best" restaurants in Crete

Spyros is 100km away. It may be good, but not worth a 200km round trip. It will be open at lunchtime, but probably not much of an atmosphere.

Stick to Rethymnon, and as MG says, look for places where the locals eat.

3. Re: "Best" restaurants in Crete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 27, 2014