We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car type / car rental companies reliable in Crete ?

Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
car type / car rental companies reliable in Crete ?

Hello everyone (i'm french, sorry for my english)

I'm thinking of renting a very small car, Hyundai i-10 or similar.

cheapest and smallest car

However, is this car type/size appropriate in Crete, if we want to drive much, go to samaria Gorge, to the mountains roads etc.. ? Is it too small, not good for the roads ?

My next question is about the quotes I've received from various car rental companies

are these companies reliable ? (no hidden fees, good service, recent cars etc..)

- Kosmos rent a car

- Anna's rent a car

- Athen's car

- MegaRent

-HolidayAutos

thanks a lot for your help !

Thanks a lot !

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car type / car rental companies reliable in Crete ?

Hi there

Firstly your English is very good :-)

OK every year we only ever rent a small car in Crete, the cheapest or an A rated car, with this car we have driven the length of Crete - and up and over the centre of the island ,...many times :-) so yet a basic A car is fine...as long as it has air con :-)

With regards which company, there are so many good reliable car hire companies in Crete, just make sure you use a local company :-)

Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car type / car rental companies reliable in Crete ?

Thank you ! I thought we would have to drive a 4X4 to drive across the mountain ah ah Hyundai i-10 seems so small :) Ok then i wont bother spending extra money for a B or C class :)

who do you rent your car with ?

I've seen good deals on Europeo car rental too

I forgot to mention it :)

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car type / car rental companies reliable in Crete ?

Hi again

We rent with a local Crete company and we have used them for the last three years, and 4 or 5 times every year. Reliable and a good price, although not the cheapest...

Club cars here is their web site:

http://www.clubcars.net/

Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car type / car rental companies reliable in Crete ?

thanks a lot !

Maldon, Essex, UK
Level Contributor
132 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car type / car rental companies reliable in Crete ?

Hi Jonica

I've used all of Anna Cars, Europeo & Athens Cars over the last 10-12 years.

At the moment I tend to use Vangelis @ Europeo just because a couple of years ago Kostas @ Anna Cars became a little more expensive & Europeo were recommended by several users on here. Athens Cars will be the cheapest but their cars (in my experience) tend to be a little older.

All of these will give you a very good service but the cars Anna & Europeo use tend to be newer. As MG says it's best to use a local company & these 3 are.

I wish my French was anywhere near as good as your English.

Pete

Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car type / car rental companies reliable in Crete ?

Thank you so much for your reply Pete!

The price with Europeo is actually really cheap

119 euros for a small car versus about 130-150 euros for other car rental companies

I was a bit skeptical but I feel better now that I have read your reply :)

Anna's car is a bit higher (150 euros) and Athens car is 126 euros, not a big difference..

What do you think about the type of car ? I was going to book a A class but I've just read that going to Balos is a nightmare if you drive such small cars.. Are the insurance gonna cover any potential problems if I use a road that is better with a SUV ?

Sounds like a silly question ah ah ! But i'd rather ask than being in trouble there :)

Heraklion, Greece
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car type / car rental companies reliable in Crete ?

Hi Jonica,

There is no cover by any insurance if you drive off road not even if it is an SUV. So any damage caused will be solely paid by you. If you drive to balos you will also have to go walk a lot in a sandy mountain. So i would recomend that you'll take the cruise boat that will take to balos and gramvousa. You can get info here: http://www.gramvousa.com/Default.aspx?lang=en

About the carrentals check also bookmycar.gr they have rates from various trusted local companies at better prices. they also work with some that you mention and you can book it instantly.

England
Level Contributor
749 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car type / car rental companies reliable in Crete ?

Jonica, we have booked with Europeo Cars we got a small car for 1 week in May for 115E which includes; full insurance with no excess, local taxes and 23% VAT, unlimited kilometers, additional driver, baby seat, booster seat, 24 hours road assistance, replacement of the car in case of breakdown and a road map. I've emailed them a couple of times since the original booking with a few questions and they have always replied very promptly which bodes well I think.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car type / car rental companies reliable in Crete ?

Hi Jonica

Although locals will drive the track to Balos, I certainly wouldn't recommend that you do it in a rental car unless it's a 4x 4 with higher ground clearance. We always rent a small car like an i-10, Peugeot 107 or Toyota Aygo and it will cope with just about anywhere in Crete.

You can't do the Samaria Gorge with your own car though - you would leave the car at Omalos at the head of the gorge, but once you have walked the gorge and taken the ferry to Hora Sfakion ( there is no road access to Agia Roumeli at the end of the gorge), there is no way to return to your car unless you have a driver to move it for you. So, your best bet to walk the gorge is to either use the early bus from Chania or book an organised excursion.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,010 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car type / car rental companies reliable in Crete ?

Best car hire company I have used on my many trips to Crete is Autorentals Crete. Family business run by Dimitris New reliable cars everything included in the price quoted. Will deliver to your hotel or meet you at the airport. www,autorentals-crete.com