We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions on things to do

montreal
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions on things to do

Hello.

Thank you in advance for any advice and suggestions you are able to offer me on my upcoming trip to crete this summer. This will be our second time in Crete. We were there last summer for 7 days, and enjoyed it so much, we decided to return again this year.

First off, the details. We are a family with 2 daughters 9 & 11 travelling from july 3-july 22. We will have a car the entire time, and are booked for 3 nights in elounda, 5 nights in Platanias, and then 11 nights in Rethymnon. The only thing up in the air is if we decide to do 2 extra nights in Platanias and 2 less nights in Rethymnon.

We are interested in some wine tastings, olive oil tastings, and maybe even a cooking class. I like the idea of that fun train in Platanias. we've been to Rethymnon last year, and loved Georgopoli Beach. We love good food and fun, more authentic type of experience as opposed to the commercial touristy tavernas.

I hope I have given a clear enough background.

Thanks again for any help.

Regards,

Irwin

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions on things to do

A suggestion go over the mountains to the south some real nice places Paleochora or Sougia and on the way look up Azogires its a must visit place it is famouse

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions on things to do

Hi

I'll give you a few suggestions for the time you'll spend in Rethymnon.

There is a very traditional tavern with very good food called Drymos 18 km away from Rethymnon. http://www.taverna-drimos.gr/en.html. The food is very good and the enviroment is fantastic as it is by a stream of a gorge.

There is also the Alekos tavern in Armeni village 10km out of town. There you don't order your dishes, you order the drinks and they bring you the food. The tavern has won 4 gold awards in consecutive years. Do not miss this one.

Near where you'll be staying in platanias, there is Zisis tavern, the most well known tavern of Rethymnon. There you can see the dishes in a kitchen display to have a better idea of what to order

In town of Rethymnon you can try Othonas tavern in Petyhaki street in the heart of the old town. An awarded tavern too, with authentic taste.

A good tavern to visit too is Prima Plora in the area of Koumpes of Rethymnon, that's the west side of town. It's by the beach and very good food too (a bit expencive in my opinion)

Edited: 5:02 pm, April 23, 2013
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions on things to do

Hi there

Platanias and Rethymno almost sit on top of one another. Seeing as many of the island's top sights are in the centre/east of Crete, I'd be looking at spending more time in the Elounda area and cut down on the Platanias/Rethymno time, maybe even cutting Platanias out of the equation and choosing a third base, possibly Chania. That way, you could fly into Iraklion and out of Chania to save backtracking.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions on things to do

I'm presuming this is the Platanias (-es) near Rethymnon, not the one near Chania??

montreal
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions on things to do

Thank you. That sounds beautiful. i love the driving trips where we can see the interesting sights. Is it a working farm with animals?

thanks

montreal
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions on things to do

I'm a food buff gerlion, so i appreciate the taverna suggestions. i have read a lot of postings about zisis, so that's one for sure i will have to try. the others also sound amazing, and the one where you eat near the gorge by a stream sounds worth the drive.

thanks

montreal
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions on things to do

hi GB & Steve.

i'm staying at Platanias near chania, so that way i will be able to take a few day trips into and around chania.

my flights are already booked in/out of heraklion, which is why i am ending my trip in rethymno, so its not too long of a drive back to the airport.

my longest drive will be on day 4, when i drive from elounda to Platanias (near chania).

thanks

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestions on things to do

That makes much more sense! I couldn't understand why you would stay 2 places 3 miles apart!!

I'm not sure there is a little train in Platanias near Chania, though there is one which passes through Platanes near Rethymnon.

So, things to do in and near Chania - apart from Chania Town, which is a lovely place, it will mainly revolve around geography, sightseeing and beaches. There is also plenty of hiking, but as you haven't mentioned it I presume that isn't one of your interests - and of course it is very warm in July.

So, places to see include Sougia or Paleochora as recommended above, the beaches of Elafonisi and Falasarna - though please note there is a big detour at the moment to Elafonisi. Nearer to Platanias, there is the unassuming town of Kastelli-Kissamos and also Kolymbari, inland there is a lake at Agia with a couple of tavernas for a pleasant lunch, on the Akrotiri peninsula is a beach at Stavros, and several monasteries. Towards Rethymnon is Aptera, and near Georgioupolis is lake Kournas - I don't know if you went there last year or not, probably best visited when you are in Rethymnon.

Regular contributors will know that one of my favourite recommendations is to drive up through the foothills of the mountains to the Omalos plain, and the top of Samaria gorge - fantastic mountain views, as displayed on Lefteris52's avatar above. You can park there, there is a café, viewing platform etc., and you don't need to do any walking!

Another memorable drive is over to the south coast at Chora Sfakion, and also while you are in the area visit Frangokastello, where there is a derelict castle superbly situated near a lovely beach.

So, there is plenty to go at there - too much for 5 nights I think, so if I were you I would add 2 nights to your Platanias stay, and remove 2 nights from Rethymnon. Some of my suggestions above could easily be done from Rethymnon as well.

Actually, if I were you, I would stay 5/7/7 nights to give a bit more time in the east, but your call naturally.

Sorry I haven't detailed any wine tastings etc. - I think they are more concentrated around the Heraklion area.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestions on things to do

Hi again Irwin,

The Drimos Tavern is not a working farm, it has domestic animals to see as a zoo.

Now that you mentioned it I remebered another very good idea: the Agreco Farm which is indeed a working farm a very large one, that you can visit it in the afternoon and stay for dinner there. Your kids will love it. The tavern offers a standard menu of very authentic Cretan taste and all the ingredients are cultivated there. Make sure you book in advance. It is made by a very famous chain of Hotels (Grecotel) and they have folk music and dances that may seem like a tourist trap, but it's not, belive me.

Check it out: grecotel.com/crete/agreco/welcome_1598.htm

As for the wine I'm a fan of the white ones. I suggest you try Moshofilero Boutaris. It's not Cretan but I love it.

Another suggestion is to visit the Kournas lake (the only lake of Crete) which has a lot's of taverns on the side of the lake that I'm sure you'll like.

montreal
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestions on things to do

That looks amazing. my kids (an wife) are very excited. i emailed them for more information, as there is very little detail on their website. thanks so much for the wonderful info.