We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First week of May

UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First week of May

Hi, I've found a great deal for first week of May but hubby has concerns this time of year isn't that hot. I know no one has a crystal ball and the weather will be what it'll be, but has anyone been early May? Average May temps according to a google search says about 20-22 and cool evenings.

I'm stuck between Crete and Egypt (where it might be too hot for my 2 year old!!!) would really appreciate any advice! Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,250 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First week of May

The weather in early May is still likely to be unsettled, and you are likely to experience some cloudy days and some rain. It usually settles by the middle of the month, but I've had plenty of rain during the second half of the month on at least two occasions. So if constant sunshine and heat are your priorities, early May may not deliver them.

On the other hand, when the sun shines, which it probably will most of the time, it will be quite warm enough to sunbathe, though the sea is still fairly chilly and may be too cold for you to swim; and the air temperatures are more comfortable for moving around, for walking if you want to, and for sightseeing. (And I imagine that Crete in early May will be more comfortable than Egypt for your baby.) Between mid-June and mid-September, when you're virtually guaranteed hot sunshine every day, it can often be too hot to do anything at all except sit on a shady balcony with a cool drink.

It's your choice. May is beautiful in Crete, especially early May when the flowers are still blooming, and you could be lucky and never see a cloud or see a drop of rain. But you need to be prepared for a bit of a mixture.

Edited: 3:57 am, March 29, 2013
Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First week of May

hi the weather in May can be 20c but as last years weather in may shows temps can be in the high 20s also accuweather.com/en/…

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First week of May

Hi there

We go to Crete very year at this time and as Alabastron says it can be changeable....but as a "general" rule its warm enough to wear shorts and T shirts during the day...and sit on the beach, although I dont swim - as its still a bit too cold for me in the sea. Although you can get a couple of hours of cloud especially in the early morning.

The evenings can get chilly although you will definately still be able to sit outside but you will need a wrap or a light jacket or jumper. There is a possibility of a few hours of rain, and in the 10 years or so since we have been travelling at this time....we have had one year where it rained for four days non stop, but that is very rare.

I would think its a perfect time to travel with a little one, as you wont have the problem of them not sleeping at night because of the heat. I love this time of year, and also late September too :-) perfect time to travel around - and the wild flowers are lovely :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,250 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First week of May

Hi MG100

Speaking of flowers, I'm actually wondering if there will be any in May. Apparently there is likely to be a severe drought this year: there was very little snow over the winter, and it's melting snow that feeds the mountain springs.

A huge problem for the tourist industry, especially later in the season, as well as for agriculture - two conflicting interests there of course.

www.sfakia-crete.com/forum2/read.php?3,7242

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First week of May

Thanks Alabastron for posting that link...very interesting...I know that the weather has been unseasonably warm in Crete at the moment and for the past few weeks too, but didnt think of the impact of the spring flowers - part of the pleasure of travelling in May is driving up into the mountains for the beautiful spring flowers, and of course the impact on the water supply for tourism and agriculture too as you said :-(

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First week of May

Judging from today it's gonna be a hot May. We now have 22-23 oC here fantastic cloudless sky and no wind.

May has less wind than any other month, so the sea is calm but still a bit chilly when you swim.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,250 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First week of May

That sounds hopeful, Gerlion. Two years ago I had several days of more or less continuous rain at the end of May. That was unusual, and I'm hoping for better this May. Not long to wait now.

It was 3C here today - a heat wave compared to some of our recent 0C days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,250 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First week of May

Hello again MG100

If you're interested, the discussion about the drought is continuing on the Sfakia-Crete forum, and there is a long informative article about the water situation. I imagine there will be more posts as more people get involved.

www.sfakia-crete.com/forum2/read.php?3,7242

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First week of May

Yes it has happened a couple years ago but it happens very rare though. Overall the weather is settling down, ...you might just have a couple of windy and cloudy day.

London's 3oC "heat wave" is our worst ever winter here! Be patient, May is close.

By the way congratulation of your 7000 posts!

Edited: 6:54 pm, March 29, 2013
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First week of May

Some very interesting and thought-provoking posts here, thanks for those.

Also congratulations to our superDE, Alabastron, 7000!! I'm sure there is no one on here with the same depth of knowledge of SW Crete as you, but more to the point, you are willing to spend hours 'spreading the word'.