We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prices for suitcase with on the beach holiday company

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
prices for suitcase with on the beach holiday company

hi everybody..we booked our holiday hotel through alpharooms.com but booked our flight seperately through onthe beach.co.uk...i got a flight on easyjet at a decent price but thought i would book our case on at a later date..when i came to book our case on the flight i was told it will cost 58quid.....ok i know i should have booked it on when booking our flight as it is cheaper than waiting like we did...but 58quid.phew..we thought sod that,no way was we paying that much for 1case at 20kg...i decided to ring the airport and check what they charge,naturaly going to the airport on the day is dearer i was told 56quid,but i can book it over the phone for 28quid,so thats what we did,thank god our case is on the booking..what gets me were does 30quid go?it dont cost that much for admin that much...anyone else with this problem..cheers.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: prices for suitcase with on the beach holiday company

Hi there...well, welcome to the net!...one thing we should do when booking services or buying something online is to try to find out if the seller or the provider has a website of his own...in my opinion, if he does , it;s better to do the "buying" directly from his website, rather than through secondary sites...By doing that, first you know for certain who is the seller of this service or product, you can contact him directly by email or even phone to ask any questions, you MUST in any case read carefully what the price that you see posted includes (for example, does it has VAT tax on?...does it includes luggages?...etc) and also what the terms and conditions of this purchase are (cancellation policy, change in date, etc.). I can speak for my kind of business, taxi transfers, where all these worldwide companies on the net selling tranfers but they just are the agent of the booking, not the one who will indeed transfer you. Now about your case, Easyjet or Ryanair for example, are "low cost " companies...to achieve that of course the do advertise some parts of the price...no, they are not lying, just telling half of the whole story....it,s like the TV ads for a car..."it;s price is 8.999€" and when you go to the dealer and start "making" it a car by adding extras, it goes at 16000€...Finally, think that they are trying to cut their running costs down, so when you set things out through internet or phone centers of them, they don;t have to have a trillion of employees or contracted sub-companies around the world to do what it has to be done... Ryan for example, as i know, charges about 60€ if you check in at the airport but it;s free when checking in through the net... hope that i sorted some things out for you and wishing you have such a good holiday so that you forget about it...

Kostas, info@taxi4crete.gr

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,000 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prices for suitcase with on the beach holiday company

>what gets me were does 30quid go?<

OTB's profit???

Kostas, I love your posts. :-) I hope you're doing good business.

Edited: 2:53 am, February 21, 2013
newmarket suffolk
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prices for suitcase with on the beach holiday company

Invest in lightweght cases that go in the cabin & travel light. Its amazingly theraputic to de-clutter your holiday packing! & the extra pair of shoes that I cant do without (and dont wear) they go in my OH's case who's happy to travel lighter than me! But the best thing of all is not havng to wait for your luggage either end.

However I dont know what I'll do if they start charging for hand luggage cos I am a tightarse!

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: prices for suitcase with on the beach holiday company

Thanks Alabastron, trying to do my best...as far as the "hidden" charges, one danish friend and customer of mine said that he was considering about sending a mail to a flight company suggesting them (ironically) of charging the air we breathing in then cabin, since it,s pressurized by the airplane,s systems. Then he reconsidered it, afraiding that they might apply the charge!... lol

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: prices for suitcase with on the beach holiday company

By the way, what OTB stands for?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: prices for suitcase with on the beach holiday company

Hello Kostas

It stands for "OnTheBeach" - they are a low cost internet based holiday company, who sell flights and accommodation separately. Unfortunately, they have fallen foul of RyanAir's terms & conditions by offering RyanAir flights to Crete as a "third party" and I beleive that RyanAir have started legal action against OTB.

Irenarob, bit late now but why didn't you book the Easyjet flights directly from their website? Why go through a third party who are always going to add on expensive "extras"?

England
Level Contributor
749 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: prices for suitcase with on the beach holiday company

I booked through Olympic with flights being Easyjet and wasn't charged for baggage.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: prices for suitcase with on the beach holiday company

We booked 2 x flight to Crete for later this yeardirect with EJ and paid £34 for each checked bag.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,000 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: prices for suitcase with on the beach holiday company

Hi Kostas

I expect you've heard the one about Ryanair proposing to charge £1 for the use of the toilets? (That one may have been genuine, actually: I've lost track of their schemes.)

GB has explained about OnTheBeach. There has been lots of discussion about this firm lately. They've been selling unsuspecting customers flights to Chania and accommodation east of Heraklion (thus creating a bit of extra business for taxi drivers :-) and some of us have got used to shortening it to OTB.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: prices for suitcase with on the beach holiday company

Rather apt initials Alabastron as I'd imagine that when a few punters have booked flights to Chania and then discovered that it's a 150 km cab ride to say Stalis, they might well utter those immortal words, "O the ba****ds"...;0)