We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from heraklion airport to chania area

Bradford, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
drive from heraklion airport to chania area

hi

flying to heraklion then driving to georgioupolis as we couldn't get a chania flight. is it a straight forward route or am i likely to go wrong? saw another post where someone had ended up lost in heraklion.

cheers

phil

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from heraklion airport to chania area

Do not drive into Heraklion. Follow roadsigns for "Chania E75" direct from the airport and I dont think you wil have any problems. It is also wise to print a driving plan from ex http://www.viamichelin.com , it is very precise.

If you try to drive into the city of Heraklion I strongly advice a GPS. Most of the city have one-way driven streets, and they often are very narrow.

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Soissons, France
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from heraklion airport to chania area

Hi,

I think it's impossible to get lost from Hiralkio airport till Georgioupoli : you don't have to go through Hiraklio; take the road E75 to Rethymno (the best road in Kriti, with sometimes 4 lanes) and Georgioupoli is about 25 kms after Rethymno.

The total trip is about 100 kms, and lasts 1h45 (try www.viamichelin.com to see a map)

Mentioned in this post
Kriti Hotel
Kriti Hotel
443 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Rethymno Palace
Rethymno Palace
891 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive from heraklion airport to chania area

Hey Fabrice. Doubleposting, but we seems to be of the same opinion.

Bradford, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: drive from heraklion airport to chania area

cheers to both

5. Re: drive from heraklion airport to chania area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:04 pm, July 22, 2017
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive from heraklion airport to chania area

Have to agree with the other posters. One thing that surprised us though was the car rental agency gave us the car with a virtually empty gas tank and told us to return it as empty as possible. While that is not entirely unheard of it was a good 20 kilomneters along the national road heading west before we found a gas station. Just a heads up in case that happes to you.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drive from heraklion airport to chania area

This happens to everybody. I have never got a Greek hire-car with more than a very few liters on the tank (warning lamp blinking). In Crete, in Pireus and in Naxos several times. Once when I returned the car at Athens airport the rental man said : " Oh. And you return it with a little more on the tank. Thank you very much". This is what they speculate in, foreigners dont dare to drive with an almost empty tank, so they get some liters extra every time.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drive from heraklion airport to chania area

Hey Periscope I have often wondered if those extra liters in the tank get siphoned off for personal use. Just speculating.

9. Re: drive from heraklion airport to chania area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:05 pm, July 22, 2017
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
288 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: drive from heraklion airport to chania area

Stanbr, thanks for the heads up. That's probably the best piece of advice I've read on here, lol. The travel portion of our trips always stresses out my husband - coming off a very long flight from Seattle, if we'd have picked up a car without gas it would likely have sent him over the edge. So this is a great advance warning, just in case ;-)