We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zakros Gorge

Toronto
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Zakros Gorge

I was thinking of taking the hike thru the Zakros Gorge as part of a vacation in Crete and would like to know from someone who has done this how difficult the ascent into the gorge is (entering from the parking area described as being on the road to Kato Zakros rather than the village of Ano Zakros). Also how long this route would take. Depending on the article, I have read 45 minutes to three hours! Definitely would not be up to the Samaria Gorge so this looks like a nicer option for the fit but older set!

Thank you

Pittsburgh...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zakros Gorge

We hiked it from the road a couple of years ago. It took us about 2 hours, our more fit friends, less. We lost the trail for a bit and were hopping boulders in the dry streambed.

Be aware the gorge is East-West instead of North-South like most of the other gorges. There was no shade to speak of. We did not bring enough water. It was a very interesting hike...

London, England...
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zakros Gorge

Hi GT,

You'll need about 2.5h for the Gorge of the Dead (assuming you take your time to enjoy it, take some photos etc). Make sure you wear appropriate shoes, hat (almost no shade at all along the gorge) and have some water with you. It is worth a visit if you find that the Samaria gorge is a bit too much for you.

Let me also suggest Richtis Gorge (also in Sitia area)

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g635863-…

let me know if you have any questions

Toronto
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Zakros Gorge

Thank you Cheryl and DRKOS for your replies. Will definitely look into the suggestion of Richtis Gorge having read the review.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zakros Gorge

Hi,

I used the local bus from Sitia to Ano Zakros starting from the 'big church'. Then to the start and down the Zakros Gorge, quick circuit of Zakros Palace archeological site in time for lunch in Kato Zakros and the bus back to Sitia from there around 16:00.

It's only about 3½ miles (5 Km) from Ano Zakros, so 2 or 3 hours or thereabouts. Quite easy no big steps or descents.

The main 'cheating' point makes it 1½ mi (2 Km) and just the bottom half of the gorge hence the 45 minutes number.

Edited: 7:13 pm, March 12, 2012
Toronto
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Zakros Gorge

Hi RH - now I am confused again. In my original post I did mention that I was referring to the hike from the shorter or 'cheating' point so if that was picked up by the first two posters, I now have three different estimates of how long the hike would take from that point! I had read about 'a steep descent' from this access point and I was particularly interested to know how bad/long the descent is. You obviously took the whole hike so you may not know the answer to this question but thanks for your previous comments.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,453 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zakros Gorge

Let me confuse you a little more. But if you like the idea, it will solve your problem and end your confusion.

Another option for you to consider is to walk UP the gorge from its exit. I like walking up gorges. It's more satisfactory than walking down, because you see more: you're looking slightly up, instead of down at your feet, and the landscape unfolds in front of you. If you're like me, you have to stop and catch your breath now and then, and that's your opportunity to look around you. (Sometimes the continuous momentum of walking downhill can get in the way of appreciating the beauty of where you are.)

You can walk for as long as you like, and then return to your starting in point. You might find this a particularly good plan with this particular gorge, because your starting point has the attraction of Zakros palace, and the possibility of a nice lunch beside the sea.

Edited: 4:25 am, March 13, 2012
Toronto
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Zakros Gorge

Hi Alabastron - Now that really does sound like a plan - thanks for the smart advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,453 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zakros Gorge

You're very welcome: I'm glad you like the idea. I should also say that if you have a rental car, it's probably the best way to do it because otherwise you've got to return to where you left the car, which can be a problem.

It's a good way of seeing part of the Samaria Gorge too, since you don't feel up to the whole of it. There are "Samaria the Lazy Way" tours, but you can do it independently by ferry from Chora Sfakion to Agia Roumeli, which gives you 5-6 hours to wander up the gorge before the return ferry leaves. You still need good walking shoes, but it's quite level for as far as you'd probably want to go: it doesn't begin to get really taxing until more than halfway up.

Toronto
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Zakros Gorge

We will have a rental car and it will be nice not to have to worry about parking and getting back to the car etc. First time to Crete this year so very excited. Decided to take the advice given on this forum and not trying to "do" the whole island in one vacation. So it's East this year and hopefully the West another time - who knows maybe trying to trek UP the Samaria Gorge! Thank you.

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zakros Gorge

Very nice gorge, we did it as family with our 6 year old son. We went to Kato Zakros and took a taxi to the starting point. It is a great walk, worthwhile for everybody who likes hiking. You have to find your way a bit but in the end just follow the river. It is a very beautifull gorge.

I can advise this for sure, the walk takes +- 2 hours if you take your time.