We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kokkino Chorio

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kokkino Chorio

Does anyone know the village of Kokkino Chorio near Chania? We are thinking of booking a villa at St George's Retreat and would like to know if anyone has stayed there, what they thought of it, the area and the sites, etc.?

Thanks.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kokkino Chorio

the area and beaches are nice there and you can make some nice trips also if you concentrate on the western parts. I dont know the villa

Crete
Level Contributor
500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kokkino Chorio

I've been past St Georges Retreat in the car while looking for something else!

It's out of the village itself, up quite a hilly road with a few private houses nearby but not much else. If you're OK with walking a bit you would be able to walk into the village where there are a few tavernas & shops but not many.

It all depends what you want from your holiday. I have no idea what the facilities in the Retreat are, but you probably know. If you want a beach, you wouldn't find one within walking distance.

Kokkino Chorio looks quite big from Google Earth, but most of the buildings are houses & quite a few are holiday homes/letting villas, so that's quite deceptive. You'd need a hire car I think to get anywhere. I'm not sure if the bus goes that far, but if it does, it will only be once or twice a day.

I hope this helps, but if you've got anymore questions about the area, I'll try & answer. I can see Kokkino Chorio from my window, as I live here, so I know the area quite well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kokkino Chorio

Hi Jackie,

What an amazing coincidence that you can see it from where you live!

Your description sounds like it's just the place we were hoping to find, quiet and peaceful. We are intending to hire a car in Heraklion where we're flying to.

Would be interested to know if there are any restaurants / tavernas, shops places to visit locally that you could recommend.

Many thanks.

Edited: 10:19 am, July 03, 2011
Crete
Level Contributor
500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kokkino Chorio

We live in Kera, which is between Kalyves & Almeryda, so sorry I can't help with tavernas etc in the Kokkino Chorio area.

The beaches at Kalyves & Almerida are fine & sandy , not crowded but with tavernas etc.

Our favourite restaurant in Kalyves is Provlita ,which is used by the locals.

If you're into archaeology, you must see Aptera which has Roman cisterns & ruins which are spectacular.

Chania old town & Rethymnon old town are a must. Our favourite restaurants in Chania is Ela & in Rethymnon To Pigadi (get the Rough Guide to Crete & it will tell you exactly where they are)

Otherwise, enjoy your stay here & I can still see Kokkino Chorio!

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kokkino Chorio

Jackie,

Many thanks for your restaurant recommendations and for the reference to Aptera which I had never hear of. It sounds fantastic.

We are very much looking forward to our visit.

Shipston on Stour...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kokkino Chorio

Hello,

We have a villa in Kokkino Chorio and it is a lovely place to be. The locals all know us personally-and are very friendly! It is a very quiet village. There is only one taverna there-but it is lovely. I would deffinitely reccomend a hire car-especially if you are flying into Heraklion. I would also reccomend you use Flisvos car hire as they are almost always cheaper than booking it through an airline or a company like Hertz. The cars are still brand new and no different to the British company's that charge a fortune. The Flisvos website is: www.flisvos.com. The best way to make a reservation is to email them. The best beach is Kalyves which is a 7KM drive from Kokkino Chorio. This is fine as the route is lovely and there are some lovely restaurants. Having been out there loads of times, we have found that one of the best restaurants around is Mistrali in Kalyves. The cheapest place to get fuel in just as you exit Chania, and you should definitely visit Chania. I hope you have (had!) a good time!

Brighton
Level Contributor
90 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kokkino Chorio

we stayed at illios house outside Kokkino chorio.The village itself has an old part, walk around this only! We made the mistake of trying to negotiate it with the hire car.

The area aroung here has been referred to as little Britain. There are many non greek,mainly English qwners here. That makes everything a bit easier and we found it interesting to imagine ourselves here as owners.Most shops and businesses are Greek, so you know you are on holiday but we were amused to see a poster for a garden open for charity for example.if you come here do go to the glass factory

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kokkino Chorio

Hi jbransby2406,

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to tell us about Kokkino Chorio and for your recommendations for restaurants, car hire, beaches and fuel. It's very helpful info.

We can't wait to get away and get some sun after this dreary summer (we are away for the first two weeks in September). The owner of our villa though tells us that they also had a lot of rain in Crete this year. We're just hoping for a dry September!

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kokkino Chorio

persistent,

Thanks for the info about the old village.

For a minute when you said little Britain I had visions of David Walliams and Matt Lucas wandering around. I was hoping to practise my halting Greek, so perhaps had better stay away from the 'open garden' / village fete axis. Thanks for the tip about the glass factory - is that in the village?

We will have to stay the night in Heraklion as our plane gets in too late to pick up our hire car. Any one have any recommendations of inexpensive but decent places to stay there?

Thanks.

Warwickshire
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kokkino Chorio

Know the area well and it used to be lovely and an ideal base for exploring western Crete. Spent three six month periods there, but stopped going when it became swamped with foreigners who made no effort to speak Greek. There are now three Brits to every Greek - you may as well go to Benidorm. Kalyves and Chania are fine, but in Almerida you are more likely to get a cream tea than a kleftiko.

A lovely area grossely over exploited.