We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the best sand beaches in Crete?

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
What are the best sand beaches in Crete?

I'm traveling to Crete for about a week and would like to stay in one or 2 locations that are close to nice sand beaches. Any suggestions on what cities/towns to stay? Thanks!

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the best sand beaches in Crete?

well the best beach is of course Rethymno, the longest on Crete. On the west side is the beach of Georgioupoli, the 2nd longest. Very nice beaches also near Plakias on the south coast, Frangokastello, Elafonissi and Marathi or Stavros on the Akrotiri near Chania. So stay central for all these places come to www.rethymnon.gr

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,282 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the best sand beaches in Crete?

Rethymno is a very long beach, but not the best if you are swimmers. The sea shelves so slowly and gently that you've got to walk miles (slight exaggeration, but that's what it can feel like) before you're fully immersed. Swimming there was a big disappointment for me.

Georgioupoli is a much better choice, also the south coast beaches Albert mentions. West of Chania is a long coastal strip; the best of the sandy beaches and the closest to Chania is Chryssi Akti (Golden Beach).

There are marvellous beaches on the coast south of Rethymnon that are rather harder to get to, but worth the effort of driving on long, twisty roads - Ligres, Agios Pavlos, Triopetra.

Edited: 3:15 am, June 25, 2011
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the best sand beaches in Crete?

Hi there

Crete is blessed with beautiful beaches along most of it's accessible coastline. Alabastron has given you plenty of food for thought but do bear in mind too that there are great beaches along the more built up north coast but these do tend to be in much more densely populated holiday towns. One of my favourites is Istron beach to the south of Agios Nikolaos but I appreciate that you might not venture that far east

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the best sand beaches in Crete?

Hi there

Yes agree with GB Voulisma beach is my favourite...beautiful, so if you do venture to the north east coast then definately worth a visit or two :-)

trekearth.com/gallery/…photo245816.htm

Its 10 mins drive from Agios Nikolaos

5. Re: What are the best sand beaches in Crete?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 am, June 26, 2011
San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the best sand beaches in Crete?

Thank you all for your recommendations!! You've been very helpful! Thanks a lot!

Rethymnon, Greece
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the best sand beaches in Crete?

Hi!!

I agree with Albert... the south west Crete is wondeful with amazing beaches!!

Espacially in Plakias... award-winning Blue Flag sandy beach stretching for 1400 metres!!!!

8. Re: What are the best sand beaches in Crete?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, October 06, 2012