We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Crete
Search

will i enjoy crete if im by myself?

uk
1 post
will i enjoy crete if im by myself?
Save

im thinking of goging in 4 weeks time by myself im 24 will i meet ppl there and have a good time. if not any suggestions where 2 go?

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: will i enjoy crete if im by myself?
Save

It depends where you are going to and what you like and what you dislike. If you are searching for a 18-30 crowd you can find this around Hersonissos and Malia. I guess meeting other people has to do with how social you are. But there are loads of opportunities to meet other young people over there. How about posting a message here on trip advisor, maybe you’ll even meet some people who will be there from your home town, before heading to Crete.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
2. Re: will i enjoy crete if im by myself?
Save

topboy -

I'm not as young as you, but I always have a great time in Greece, even when I'm alone, because the Greeks are so hospitable and friendly. Wherever I have been the locals have been generous with information and advice on local sites of interest and recommendations re tavernas, etc.

I think you'll have no trouble meeting people as long as you approach them with a smile and a courteous greeting.

Have a great time.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
818 helpful votes
3. Re: will i enjoy crete if im by myself?
Save

Hi there

Quite agree with the others here - personally, there's nothing like having a travel companion to share the great moments with, especially if it's the first time of visiting a specific area or country. But I'm sure you'll still have a great time. As here in the UK, the most sociable places to go to meet people will be the bars, beaches and clubs (if that's your scene) and there are specific resorts already mentioned where the younger generation outnumber us old farts by 10 to 1.

Crete is a wonderful island with very friendly locals. Get chatting to the bar staff wherever you stay and see where they recommend going for a good time. Best of luck!

Rethymno
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: will i enjoy crete if im by myself?
Save

Going for a whole month you have the great opportunity that others don't have..to visit the whole island, all the 4 provinces!! ^_^

Meeting people depends on you actually. Everyone there is in vacation and so its not so difficult meet people that want to have fun and visit new places! You can start first 2 weeks visit Heraklion and Lasithi province, they are the most touristicaly advanced. The other 2 Rethymno and Cania offer more wild sightseeing.

For places to visit in the west part look on my previous posts.

if you need more info send me a message

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
38 reviews
95 helpful votes
5. Re: will i enjoy crete if im by myself?
Save

Agree with everyone here (loved that 'old fart' statement there, GB:) and have had many adventures to Greece as well as other various places as a solo-female traveller and can honestly say they were some of the best:) This is the time to do it and really enjoy the freedom and independence of 'going it alone'....Don't hesitate...go and Enjoy!

Caversham, United...
Level Contributor
387 posts
63 reviews
64 helpful votes
6. Re: will i enjoy crete if im by myself?
Save

www.yhplakias.com

Go here and I absolutely guarantee the time of your life and a score of new friends by the time you leave. Just bring your party head.

7. Re: will i enjoy crete if im by myself?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, September 03, 2009