We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Crete
Search

Need help with plans

Ethel, Louisiana
Level Contributor
64 posts
Need help with plans
Save

We only have 2 days in Crete. We will be staying in Chania. We would really like to walk around chania, see the lighthouse, Balos , Elafonisi, ancient aptera , agia Sofia, and go to Loutro. We do not plan to stay at the beaches of balos, or elafonisi just enough time to see them. We do want to go to marmara beach though and swim in some caves. Is this possible in 2 days. I know it will be quick and not a lot of time to soak it all in, but that’s ok. Can anyone give a timeline of what to do and which day. We do have a rental car.

28 replies to this topic
Mestre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Crete, Istria, Cres, Krk, Sicily
Level Contributor
18,682 posts
111 reviews
75 helpful votes
1. Re: Need help with plans
Save

No time for all that stuff. Chania-Elafonisi takes 90minutes each way or more.

2. Re: Need help with plans

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, September 17, 2019

London, United...
Level Contributor
22,480 posts
10 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Need help with plans
Save

Lori, I guess it's already clear to you that you can't do all this in two days. If you can't extent your stay to four days, you will have to pare your list down. Decide which two destinations are most important to you: the options are Chania, Elafonisi, Balos, and Loutro.

If you have a rental car, or take a taxi, you could probably shoe-horn a visit to Aptera during your day in Chania. But even with a car you can't visit Balos and Elafonisi in one day. Getting to Balos is a full-day excursion (there is a road to it, but any damage to the car if you drove on it would not be not covered by your car insurance).

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Need help with plans
Save

lori1sj, your post is a perfect illustration of what I am talking about here: west-crete.com/blog/…

Edited: 5:25 am, May 28, 2019
5. Re: Need help with plans

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:01 am, October 04, 2019

Ethel, Louisiana
Level Contributor
64 posts
6. Re: Need help with plans
Save

Alabastron thanks for the info. This is exactly why I’m reaching out for help. My list was way longer before I really got to doing some research. In your opinion how would you spend your 2 full days? I really love the idea of going to marmara beach and swimming in sea caves. I have seen some of your posts about this. I do really want to see chania some and agora Sofia. I think I would rather go to balos than elafonisi because it looks like the beach and water and scenery is prettier but that’s just what I can tell from pictures.

We actually arrive on June 13 by ferry in herkalion at 1830. Then renting a car and driving to chania. We will have all day on the 14 and 15. We fly out on the 16th at 1130.

All help is appreciated.

Jean Crete that article is so true and I don’t want to do that for sure but there is so much to see and we likely will never get to come back. Your comments and posts have definitely made me re think things.

7. Re: Need help with plans

Removed on: 11:20 am, September 17, 2019

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
33,257 posts
423 reviews
1,722 helpful votes
8. Re: Need help with plans
Save

With two full days and your wish list Here is an idea for one day. You could spend the first morning strolling round the old town area of Chania and walking out to the lighthouse. Then you could head out of town and head down to Elafonisi stopping at Agia Sofia on the way. You will likely get to Elafonisi late afternoon (especially if you stop for lunch on the way down....perhaps a slight detour to Kefali where there are couple of nice tavernas with stunning views) which is a good time to visit as the it will be getting a little quieter as tours and some day trippers will be heading away. Be sure to walk along the beach/lagoon and through the sand dunes to the other side and Elafonis Islet which has lovely coves and you can walk along to a little church on the islet with great views looking back.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
33,257 posts
423 reviews
1,722 helpful votes
9. Re: Need help with plans
Save

For your other day but not a Tuesday (I haven't checked the calendar) head early morning to Ancient Aptera which opens around 8am (if the person opening up is late you can still visit the ruined Roman Villa and also the amphitheatre without having to go through the main gate. Even a short visit is more than worth it and it is just a short drive from the national highway so an easy detour.

You could then head for Vrysses and take the road south stopping at the fascinating homemade war museum on the Askifou Plateau before heading to Hora Sfakia and Loutro.

Ethel, Louisiana
Level Contributor
64 posts
10. Re: Need help with plans
Save

Jill F, thanks the help is perfect. Is there any other place near chania to swim in sea caves. I am not set on it being marmara. It’s just the only one I could find. I just think it would be really cool and a neat experience. I will be checking out all the recommendations.

Reply to: Need help with plans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crete