We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

were to stay how does it compare to kefalonia/lefkas

kent london
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
were to stay how does it compare to kefalonia/lefkas

I love Greece visited kefalonia and Lefkas both i loved and explored the majority of these 2 islands seeing the best beaches and local restaurants. How does Crete compare looks much bigger so now confused were i would stay or if this is the place to go, we also now have a 2 yr old child to consider too. Is around Chaina a good area to be based. Ideally we would hire a car a few days and explore some the best beaches. is there any other Geek islands just like Kefalonia or Lefkas tat may be better suited. I presumed the best beaches are around Chaina ? and not how does Herkalion compare beach wise. thks

Norway
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: were to stay how does it compare to kefalonia/lefkas

There are plenty of places in Crete that are suitable for your family. Let us know which airport you will be flying in to (Heraklion or Chania), so we can recommend some. And where have you stayed on Lefkas and Kefalonia? Knowing that would help as well.

The villages in the Chania area are good bases, but there are lovely beaches all over the island, including both east and west of Heraklion and on the south coast.

kent london
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: were to stay how does it compare to kefalonia/lefkas

That's the thing not booked nothing yet so open for suggestions. Before we stayed at nidri in lefkas lovely island wasn't a great hotel tho bland stayed at skala nine muses which was really nice in kefalonia great bases for exploring.

Edited: 4:39 am, March 06, 2017
UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: were to stay how does it compare to kefalonia/lefkas

If you fancy Crete I'd probably choose somewhere in the Chania region, there is plenty of exploring around here as well as great beaches. You might find some places in Crete are a bit more "touristy" (more developed) than Lefkada and Kefalonia. Also bear in mind that the climate in Crete is much hotter and drier -- you didn't say what time of year you're planning to go, but if it's high summer, Crete will be very hot, especially for a toddler!

As you rightly say, Crete is a whole lot bigger than Lefkada or Kefalonia, but that isn't necessarily a problem -- the trick is to focus on doing one little section of Crete this time, and if you like it, you can always try the other end of the island next time. Alternatively, if you think you might prefer a smaller island, how about Lesvos? It's a similar sort of size to Lefkada, plenty to do but small enough to explore, some lovely beaches, and Molyvos town is a gem.

kent london
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: were to stay how does it compare to kefalonia/lefkas

Brill will look into that planning going last week Sept.

kent london
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: were to stay how does it compare to kefalonia/lefkas

The refugee problem puts me off visting lesvos.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: were to stay how does it compare to kefalonia/lefkas

This is really not an issue, and not something that should put you off Lesvos. You can read recent posts here, but, of course, it's entirely up to you. It's a delightful island

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g119…

kent london
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: were to stay how does it compare to kefalonia/lefkas

Yes it prob is old news now looks a lovely island indeed.

Norway
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: were to stay how does it compare to kefalonia/lefkas

If you enjoyed staying in Nidri (except for the hotel), which I did as well, then in Crete I suggest that you take a look at Agia Pelagia (narrow beach, but the same goes for Nidri), or Panormos if you fly to Heraklion. If your flight is to Chania, then I think you'll like Georgioupolis (my favorite place in Crete), Kalives, Almyrida, or Agii Apostoli. Of course, if you're planning on taking a package trip, then your choices may be limited.

I agree with kyklamina that ypou shouldn't be put off by Crete being such a big island. But if you're interested in a smaller island, you could take a look at Samos or Corfu as well as Lesvos.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: were to stay how does it compare to kefalonia/lefkas

Parga on the mainland may suit it has the vibe of Nidri, it does have a hill though and would be an effort for a two year old but ferries run around to the main beach from the town

Edited: 3:04 pm, March 06, 2017
South East UK
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: were to stay how does it compare to kefalonia/lefkas

We've been to both Lefkas and Kefalonia and we loved Elounda when my son was smaller. It's a flat and compact resort with tavernas and a few bars set around a main square and harbour.

We're not Beach people so not sure how good the beach is but it's close to the main square.

There's a road train your little one might enjoy as well