We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

athens airport

Which Delphi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
205 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
athens airport

Hello,

How much time should one allow to check in at the Athens airport for a trip to the islands? Can you tell me if there is a difference between having check in luggage and carry on?

Thanks so much.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: athens airport

One hour prior to departure is required. However, it depends on the airline you are going to use. Aegean usually has less waiting time than Olympic. Because some of the aircrafts used in island routes are small, you may be required to check in a luggage that would normally be accepted as carry on. If you only have carry on luggage and use Aegean, you do not have to check in at the airport. You may use their e-check-in service (check www.aegeanair.com).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
205 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: athens airport

Just want to thank you for your help. We plan to use Aegean based on reports of others. Does this sound like a sensible and doable plan: fly to Chania on April 30, take the bus to Heraklion on May 3 or 4, tour the Palace of Knossos, take a ferry to Santorini on Friday(assuming the schedule I have is correct) and then returning to Athens on May 8, a trip to Delphi on the 9th and flying home on the 11th. We will feel as though we are constantly moving? Thanks.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: athens airport

Seems like a sensible plan, although a bit tight. But then again you have limited time available. Personally, I'd add one more day in Athens if it was my first time. Otherwise, it is OK.