We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about bus between Delphi and Galaxidi

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
question about bus between Delphi and Galaxidi

Hi, dear experts.

My wife and I are visiting Delphi during our trip to Greece. Our plan is:

Day 1: Start out from Athens in the morning and arrive in Delphi at noon.

Stay overnight in Delphi.

Day 2: Leave Delphi at noon back to Athens.

We are wondering what's the best we can do in Delphi area. We are thinking about this itinerary:

Day 1 afternoon: after checking in our hotel in Delphi, go to visit Galaxidi by bus and back to Delphi at night.

Day 2 morning: visit Ancient Delphi ruins.

But we are worried if the bus between Delphi and Galaxidi is available for our schedule. The info on Lonely Planet is very vague and there is also some contradictory ones on-line. Any feedback is appreciated.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about bus between Delphi and Galaxidi

Hello and welcome to the forums!

You don't say when this will happen so it's not easy to guess a reply.

Anyway, Galaxidi and Delphi are connected with the bus that goes from Delphi to Nafpaktos and back.

There are usually 5 buses a day but if I recall correctly, there is no bus late in the night; you can of course arrange a taxi.

But, IMO, it's much better to stay in Galaxidi than Delphi. It is far more beautiful and picturesque.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about bus between Delphi and Galaxidi

I would advice using taxis, otherwise, forget it!

Mainly the main station in the area is Amfissa, secondary Itea station. So going from a place to another, usually you have to go through these towns and change a bus. I am not in Delphi right now, otherwise I would have go to station and ask a detailed itenerary. But I just did a quick phone call to Amfissa's bus station(+30 2265 0 28226), and asked them how could someone go from Delphi to Galaxidi and go back PM hours Answer was you have to take a bus from Delphi to Amfissa around 15.15 (obviously the one departing Athens to Amfissa at 13.00) , then next bus from Amfissa to Itea at 16.45, change bus to Itea about 17.00 and finally go to Galaxidi.

To come back, bus coming from Nafpaktos to Itea stops at Galaxidi about 20.00, you have to catch a taxi from Itea back to Delphi.

Very complicated, lots of time consumed on transportation, limited time on the spot!

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about bus between Delphi and Galaxidi

Thanks for your kind help!

We are going to Delphi on 9/17 Thursday.

So I guess it's not working to visit Galaxidi from Delphi in the afternoon by bus. Do you happen to know how much it costs approximately for a round trip by taxi between Delphi and Galaxidi? And is it easy to get one at both ends especially at late hours in Galaxidi?

We want to stay in Delphi overnight in order to visit the ruins in early morning of day 2.

Depending on the cost and efficiency, we may consider renting a car from Athens. If so, we may switch to Galaxidi for the night.

Thanks!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about bus between Delphi and Galaxidi

If car is an option, I strongly recommend it. You have more flexibility to explore the area at your own pace, stop when somehing catch your eye etc. You may want to do a detour to Livadia for example and check the Piges Krias area on your way to Delphi,or stop to Arahova...Then you may base your self to Galaxidi if you wish too... Or you may explore surrounding towns such as Amfissa etc...

You may check one of my insider pages, called "Delphi and surrounding area" . I plan to update it a bit when I find spare time, but as it is now, it has some usefull info non the less.

About taxis, I haven't use one for years in the area, I would say maybe 30-40 euros to Galaxidi from Delphi, I don't think there are plenty of taxis to Galaxidi.You may want to arrange your return taxi in advance. Even in Delphi, there are only 4-5 taxis nowdays ... More taxis in Itea, you may want to check on those too...

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about bus between Delphi and Galaxidi

It seems that a rental car makes things much easier. We will get a car then. Thanks a lot!

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about bus between Delphi and Galaxidi

I just got another idea about the visit to Delphi and Galaxidi, and would like to ask for your advice. How about we directly go to Galaxidi from Athens by bus in early morning, spend half a day there, and then go to Delphi after dark by bus (possibly plus taxi)? We are still trying to visit Galaxidi and Delphi by bus because renting a car and driving long hours seem a little strenuous to us.

Thanks for your help!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about bus between Delphi and Galaxidi

That way you take bus from Athens (same bus going to Delphi) asking on the booth if it terminates in Amfissa or Itea (usually it's Amfissa). You purchase a ticket to final destination, then you have to connect to Galaxidi. Doesn't hurt to ask in Athens if they know how to connect to Galaxidi, but if they don't, you ask in Itea or Amfissa accordingly. Usually on AM hours, there are a couple of suitable connections. If not, it's taxi time...

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question about bus between Delphi and Galaxidi

Thank you, Mariha!

9. Re: question about bus between Delphi and Galaxidi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 11, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Delphi