We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip for passengers traveling to North Cyclades (Sifnos etc)

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Tip for passengers traveling to North Cyclades (Sifnos etc)

When I booked our ferry tickets from Piraeus to Milos I checked for the most convenient time for ferries instead of the ferry itself.

Just wanted to give a valuable tip to passengers travelling to Sifnos, Serifos, Milos: Do not travel with the Superjet high speed ferry! There are better, more comfortable, safer options! They have strong northern winds in the aegean in July and August and this ferry is tiny and shakes A LOT! Almost everybody got sick (adults and kids) and puked. It is forbidden to go outside for air and I can't describe the nausea and disgust we felt inside that little ferry in strong wind! Our seats were at the back and smelled fuel all the way -including other smells- and reached our destination an hour late, 4 hours that is!

People on TA warned me on one of my posts about the Jets but I already booked our tickets and couldn't cancel them. I wish I knew beforehand it would save me a lot of hustle and dizziness and headache and stomachache! Notice that I went prepared with sickness pills and all! And I never get seasick!

I recommend the Speedrunner IV also high speed but bigger. Luckily, by chance I booked that one for our return journey (because of convenient time again) and it was fantastic with the same weather (6 beaufort). There's also another option, Andreas Kalvos or Adamantios Korais, not high speed, they take longer but save you money and you get to your destination in good health!

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tip for passengers traveling to North Cyclades (Sifnos etc)

Thanks for the feed-back. It is another chapter in the Superjet story, like a few we have read before.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tip for passengers traveling to North Cyclades (Sifnos etc)

Now that Sea Jets has several much larger high speed ferries, I'm surprised they are still using Superjet and Sea Jet 2 in the Cyclades routes.

Shepperton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tip for passengers traveling to North Cyclades (Sifnos etc)

I've not been on either of the small Seajets, although I have used the Hellenic Flyingcat's which are a similar size (if a different model/design) and haven't found them to be a problem.

The small Seajets certainly seem to do a heck of a long route given their size but perhaps demand for the odd connections they make only warrant using something that small.

I'm on the Seajet2 for the Santorini to Amorgos crossing in August so I'll see whether it's the vomit-comet everyone seems to report!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tip for passengers traveling to North Cyclades (Sifnos etc)

Will I run into a similar issue from Piraeus to Santorini on the Hellenic Seaways Highspeed 6?

Edited: 7:36 am, July 13, 2016
nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tip for passengers traveling to North Cyclades (Sifnos etc)

Have also travelled with Superjet last week to Milos. It was horrific! Awful experience! I don't know how and why the authorities allow this tiny piece of sh.. to travel from Piraeus to Santorini with families and small children in it, in windy weather like this!

It probably is fine when the weather is perfect but in 6 or 7 beaufort it's a nightmare! What a huge mistake that was! I also wish I had the info before booking! Never again!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,965 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tip for passengers traveling to North Cyclades (Sifnos etc)

Pimpollo

Not on that one it is a very much larger car carrying catamaran. The two in question are the Seajet 2 and Superjet, and some other small ferries.

Jonathan C

There are a number of people on here who do actually use these ferries, no idea why you don't believe them.

Personally I have used just about every ferry type ever used in Greece in the last 30 years, and prone to seasickness.

There is a proportion of the population who never gets seasick, lucky them, however it still makes it an unpleasant trip in rough sea on such ferries.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tip for passengers traveling to North Cyclades (Sifnos etc)

I was trying not to read this post, and now wish I hadn't! Next month we're likely to have to use this boat if we make it to the port on time as it's the last crossing of the day on a Wednesday (otherwise we lose a night's accommodation and will have to fork out for a hotel for us all). I REALLY wouldn't want to go all the way to Milos on it but was hoping the short trip to Serifos might be bearable. Kind of hoping our flight is delayed now!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tip for passengers traveling to North Cyclades (Sifnos etc)

Good to hear. Thank you Retired_Hippy!

Any recomendations for a day trip to another island while in Santorini?

Edited: 8:15 am, July 13, 2016
9. Re: Tip for passengers traveling to North Cyclades (Sifnos etc)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 15, 2017