We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone know what happens in case of strike at the port?

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Does anyone know what happens in case of strike at the port?

Can someone give us some info on this matter please? I read in local newspapers that port employees go on strike because they disagree with the government on many issues.

What happens in case of strike and the ferries get cancelled? Do they give refunds? Do they put you in another ferry later on? Is it a good idea to make insurance about this?

Delays like this can be very costly I keep fingers crossed it doesn't happen!

Thanks

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone know what happens in case of strike at the port?

In May there was a seaman's strike. My crossing from Ancona to Patras was cancelled. The company (Anek-Superfast) phoned me and offered me the option to either have my money refunded or to take a crossing on another day. I opted for the refund and it was in my bank account within 24 hours. Very frustrating, as it meant we had to drive all the way to Greece, but no problems with the ferry company.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone know what happens in case of strike at the port?

If you are referring to the port employees strikes recently they don't affect ferries.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone know what happens in case of strike at the port?

Didn't understand what you mean. Why don't they affect ferries? We are supposed to pick our tickets from the port, after showing a printout from the internet.

And I have another question. Is 37mph considered very windy to travel? I saw the forecast for monday and it seems like a lot comparing with other days!

thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,774 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone know what happens in case of strike at the port?

it does not affect ferries,ferries run as usual..only cruiseships are somewhat affected...37 mps is 7 beaufort .that is a lot indeed,you can contact the company and ask,although i doubt they will know until that day....usually if the weather is too bad there is a no-go and ferries do not travel

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone know what happens in case of strike at the port?

OMG!

I've seen the forecast again today for monday more carefully and and it will be 5 beaufort at Pireaus when we depart and 6 beaufort in Milos when we arrive.

Hope we make it! I know our stomachs will be somewhere in our throats by the time we arrive but it's better to reach your destination on time than searching for hotels elsewhere!

Thanks!

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone know what happens in case of strike at the port?

There are several ferries monday morning. If you are booked on the "Seajet 2" I would be worried by the wind. If you are on the "Speedrunner IV" I would be more relaxed. The conventional ferry "Andreas Kalvos" shouldn't be to much affected by a tail-wind (blowing from Pireus towards Milos), but it takes longer time on the sea.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone know what happens in case of strike at the port?

It's the superjet. It departs at 15:15. It seems similar to the seajet 2 you are mentioning. Are we in trouble??

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anyone know what happens in case of strike at the port?

Superjet and SeaJet 2 are two of the least seaworthy ferries in the Cyclades. It is expected into Piraeas at 14.00. In strong wind you may expect it to be delayed. The more delayed, the heavier weather. It is the first to be cancelled when the wind are heavy. You may hope the forecast is wrong and the sea is calm.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does anyone know what happens in case of strike at the port?

Don't take the Seajet 2 or Superjet especially when it's strong winds. They are small and more likely to be cancelled in strong wind. The larger the ferry the better, and often cheaper so it's a win win.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does anyone know what happens in case of strike at the port?

I'm taking into consideration your suggestions.

I already booked and payed for the tickets with petas.gr. Is it possible you think to change to Adam. Korais at 14:00 which takes 3 hours longer but it's probably safer? Could I do that at the port when we arrive in Piraeus at 11 a.m.? The ferries belong to different companies.