We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does a taxi cost to Piraeus from the airport?

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
How much does a taxi cost to Piraeus from the airport?

Approximately how much would it cost and would traffic be a problem (delays I mean)?

We arrive at Athens airport at 9:15 and our ferry departs at 15:30 for Milos in early July.

I would prefer flying of course but there aren't any available seats! :(

Level Contributor
630 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does a taxi cost to Piraeus from the airport?

Why don't you take the train ? It leaves every 30 mins from the airport at .00 and .30 with one change at Monastiraki, just one way ticket will be 10 Euro per person and journey time will be 75 mins max. If you take a break at the city, say Monastiraki, you pay another 1.40 Euro(25 mins) to Pireaus.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does a taxi cost to Piraeus from the airport?

Hey and welcome 310-Sunray:-) Yeah, the flight would have been ideal;-) Nonetheless, in case you didn't know, there is a dedicated Express Bus 96 that does the run from the airport to Piraeus for I believe now at 6E.. use to be 5 and increased recently:-) Of course, it's traffic dependent so takes about an hour+.. give or take.. a cab would run on meter so again, traffic dependent looking at an average of 50E.. thereabouts:-) You'll have plenty of time to take the bus if you so choose with a 6 hour time spread;-)

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does a taxi cost to Piraeus from the airport?

Thank you for the info.

Didn't quite understand the 75 min train ride. You mean 75 min including the monastiraki change? Or 75 min plus 25?

Isn't there a train that goes straight to the airport from port and vise versa?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much does a taxi cost to Piraeus from the airport?

Our pleasure:-) And no, there is no *direct* train from the airport to Piraeus.. the Blue Line metro from the airport to Monasteraki takes about 40-45 min.. train change there to Green Line for Piraeus which takes about 20-25 min or so.. wait times not included.. and don't forget if you miss a Blue Line train departing from the airport, you'll have a half hour wait for the next one;-) Keep Enjoyin'!

Level Contributor
630 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much does a taxi cost to Piraeus from the airport?

Litsa answered your question.

You have many hours, don't waste them at Pireaus. Monastiraki have the BEST shopping street in Europe(not understand why they call it a street market). I bought some great dvds and cds as well as the cheapest, tastiest and largest strawberries ever. Don't miss it.

You can also visit the National Archealogical Museum, 4 times better then the one in Naples. Even have Egyptian mummies. The Acropolis can be skipped, unless you want to spend 20 euros for the sweeping views, again the best in Europe. I missed the Lye......hills which is free and also have views, so I cannot compare.

UK
Level Contributor
87 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much does a taxi cost to Piraeus from the airport?

The bus is the easiest option. You pick it up right outside the airport terminal and it takes you right to the port. It only costs a few euros. If you take the metro you have to change and this can cause delays.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much does a taxi cost to Piraeus from the airport?

The bus costs 6 euro pp. Takes you directly to Pireus port without having to change. A taxi is around 50€. I have used the Metro once, and am not going to repeat it. Too unconvienient.

Pireus is not a waste of time. Put your luggage in a luggage storage - you find it by the ticket offices. Walk away from the port, into Pireus town where you find a very interesting archeological museum, a vibrant yacht harbour at Zea marina, some nice bars and tavernas along the sea, pedestrian streets with all kind of shops. Pireus is a large town, far more than the port only. Just be aware you dont have much more than 3-4 hour before your ferry departs.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much does a taxi cost to Piraeus from the airport?

The bus is definitely the easiest, cheapest & most straightforward.

I totally agree, it is not a waste going to Piraeus, I go for a walk around, a coffee etc at least once a week :)

The metro station is right by the port, you can go in there & there is a small free museum up the corner (only open until 2pm I think) with the history of the Athens-Piraeus line. A lovely old wooden train carriage you can explore inside, uniforms, the building of the line, maps, photos etc

Just take note, no photography at all is allowed in the museum.

If it's realy hot, or you're tired, once you have deposited your luggage, just get a 1.40 euro ticket & get the no 20 trolley from right outside the port gates (opposite the metro). As soon as it gets to the harbour front & you see yachts you can get off & find a cool spot for a drink, or lunch, sit & watch the world go by!

Edited: 9:39 am, May 26, 2016
Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How much does a taxi cost to Piraeus from the airport?

Have done the airport to Piraeus bus trip 5 times now - never found it to be a very pleasant experience due to the extremely uncomfortable seats! Would probably be ok for a journey 30 mins or less but not for the length of time this journey takes. However the last straw came last year when there were no seats available so standing was the only option - not a problem in itself - but the bus driver seemed to take great delight in driving at breakneck speed and then slamming on at the last second sending people and luggage flying! To top it off, as people were struggling to retrieve their luggage at bus stops he then proceeded to close the doors and drive off before they had chance to get off. Flying on from Athens this year but any future trip from the airport to Piraeus will be by taxi!

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How much does a taxi cost to Piraeus from the airport?

Just to add to my previous post - most of us non-Greek tourists did not complain but just grumbled amongst ourselves. However there was a large number of Greeks on the bus who let the driver know what they thought in no uncertain terms!