We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Piraeus

London UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Piraeus

Hi All

We'll be arriving in Athens next Sunday (23rd June) at 12.40am, and our plan is to take a ferry to Milos that leaves from Piraeus at 7.00am. As we would need to check in to the ferry at 5am and there is no point in paying for a hotel that night, we decided to spend a couple of hours at the airport and then take x96 to Piraeus.

My partner is concerned about the safety in Piraeus. We are not familiar with the area and we would be walking around with suitcases at wee hours of the morning. Do you have any tips as to where to go if we get there too early? I assume there is a passenger terminal and that is the best bet? I think that x96 stops right near the passenger terminal but can you confirm? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Piraeus

"Check in at 5am"? Where did you read that?

Of course, it's best to get there in good time so you can feel assured you won't miss the ferry, but I've seen people roll up one minute before departure - usually Greeks, I have to say ;-))

Perhaps you mean that you need to pick up the ticket , booked online? I think they say "1 hr before" but in practice you can pick it up minutes before!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Piraeus

Sorry, meant to add:

Aim to get to Piraeus about 6am. The bus will drop you close to the cafe/ticket office complex. You can have a coffee and then stroll around to your left as you face the sea to the Milos ferry (not too far). The ferry will have been there overnight, I think, so you'll be able to board early & get settled in.

Edited: 11:00 am, June 16, 2013
London UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Piraeus

Thanks Anninhk. I thought I saw 2 hours somewhere else, but you are right, my email confirmation for the ferry ticket says 1 hour prior to the departure.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Piraeus

No worries! Honestly, at that time in the morning there will be plenty of others waiting for ferries - 7-8am is peak time for departures.

Enjoy Milos; it is a wonderful island!

Edited: 11:32 am, June 16, 2013
5. Re: Safety in Piraeus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 18, 2014