We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece ferries

Which Piraeus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bethlehem, South...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Greece ferries

Good day

We are 4 persons who need to travel by ferry from Piraeus to Santorini on 2013/03/19 and back on 2013/3/22. I can only find Blue Star and the overnight return journey on 2013/3/22 does not suit our other reservations. Is there any, other options?

Kind regards

Karin

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece ferries

Hi Karin,

and welcome to the forum.

The Blue Star is the most reliable all year around schedule between Santorini and Piraeus - being the daily public transport option for the islanders between Athens and between the islands.

You can have a flight option between Santorini and Athens:

www.aia.gr/flight_schedule/domestic_en.htm

Click on Santorini and you will find the airlines and their schedules.

If overnight interest is connected to a flight home it i always advicable to spend your last night in Athens to avoid problems like cancellations, bad weather etc. from the islands.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece ferries

there is a flight 12:00 from Aegean and another one from Olympic at 15:55, it one hour flight

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece ferries

It is the off season that will be your only ferry options.

Tues 07:25 Piraeus > Santorini.

Fri 19:30 Santorini > Piraeus.

Other options are to fly with Aegean or Olympic.

Edited: 7:35 am, March 03, 2013
Bethlehem, South...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece ferries

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it.

Kind regards

Karin

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
592 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece ferries

Hi

Similar question, and you seem to know the system.

We'll be flying direct to Mykonos May 5th ;getting to Pirreus the next evening, and then on to the Dodocenese by overnight ferry that leaves 9:30 p.m. or thereabouts. Choices for leaving Mykonos are the slow ferry (I think this, too, is Blue Line?) Monday evening that gets in to Pirreus only a half an hour before the (overnight) ferry to Dodocenese or the fast Catamarans that are more expensive but get us there with an hour or two to cool our jets in Pirreus. Is the (slow) ferry from Mykonos on time or could it arrive too late in to Pirreus and jeopardize our going on to the Blue Line /overnight? I'll be booking the overnight ferry ahead of time in order to get the room arrangement we'll want, but will probably leave the 'getting off Myknos' ferry til the 'day of' .... just would prefer to take the slow ferry.

thanks for your help!

Wanderlassie

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Greece ferries

Hi Wanderlassie, if the slow ferry gives you only 30 minutes, it is better to take the earlier ferry (catamaran) which gives you 1 or 2 hours before the departure of ferry to Dodekanese.

Blue star ferries in general are reliable on their times but a delay of 30 minutes can be possible, count that you will need sometime to exit the ferry, on 6th of May can be a busy day as people will return from their Easter (Orthodox) holidays, also you do not know how far in walking distance will be the one ferry from the other, at the port of Piraeus

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Greece ferries

Have you actually checked your departure times?

www.gtp.gr

Somehow what you say does not add up. On 6 May you have much more time to transfer from the Blue Star from Mykonos to the Blue Star to the Dodecanese in the evening - more than 3 hours, in fact.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Greece ferries

Also, what island are you actually travelling to? That Blue Star to the Dodecanese stops at Syros so you do not have to go back to Piraeus, just to Syros.

Edited: 9:49 am, March 23, 2013
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,978 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Greece ferries

If it's Blue Star 2 you are taking on 6th May, it stops at Syros en route to the Dodecanese. No point in going all the way to Piraeus when Syros is much nearer to Mykonos.

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
592 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greece ferries

thank you, both ...

Blue Ithaki (slow ferry) leaves Mykonos 2:15 p.m. arrives Piraeus 19:45 (nearly 8 p.m.).

Blue Star 2 leaves Piraeus for Leros 23:30.

Must've been the Catamaran that leaves Mykonos around 5 p.m. that has the 'closer' connection to Piraeus; I'll check it.

If we can go direct to one of the northernmost Dodecanese directly FROM Mykonos, i'd much rather do that than head in to Piraeus...

appreciate your expertise

wanderlassie