We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are taxis safe?

Portugal
Level Contributor
108 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Are taxis safe?

Hi!

I'll be arriving today at Piraeus port at about 23h30 (I'm travelling with my daughter)

Although the hotel where I'm staying is not far from the port, I have to take a taxi, but a greek guy advised me not to take any of the taxis that are at the port because that might be not safe ("some taxis are not good", he said) and told me to walk till the main street to find a taxi.

Has anyone any information about taxis in Piraeus?

Should I ask the hotel to send me a taxi to the port?

Since this forum seems to be not very active, I'll be posting the same text in Athens forum.

Thanks

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are taxis safe?

The taxis in Pireus port are as safe as any other taxis. They wait in line upon ferry arrival. Just be aware they are not fond of very short trips Maybe some take an extra round around the quarter to get a little more on the meter. A taxi sent for you will probably cost extra for showing up and wait.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are taxis safe?

I think taxis in the port are very safe, why they shouldn't be? There is a port fee that I think it was around 1.50 euro last time I checked but might have increase a bit and there is extra fee for each piece of luggage too. All such fees are mentioned on a yellow/blue card that usually stands on the front right hand side inside the taxi.

Getting a taxi fron the road is a good idea, not to save the small port fee, but just to avoid waiting in the queue that usually forms when a ferry arrives. Personaly I would simply check which bus heads to hotel's direction, less hussle than to carry your bags all the way by the road, and not a pain to taxi drivers in the port either.

A taxi taking you to a close distance for a few euros will then have to return and wait behind the long queu of taxis to get new passenger to a more far out destination, and maybe there will be no passengers by then. I am the one to strongly critisize bad practices on taxi drivers, and yes, they have to take passengers for small or large distances and that's life... but there are some fair points that with fuel costs and increase of public transport use, they really strungle to make a living. And do not tell me 2 euros for a sort distance are better than nothing, because in reality they gain nearly nothing on such routes. Plus most drivers only work a shift, they do not own taxi, and nowadays they often get a small percentage of the fares rather than real salary.

Anyway, sorry, I was not planning to get so off topic.

Maybe if you could mention which hotel that is, you could get more relevant replies?

3. Re: Are taxis safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 29, 2013