We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Piraeus to Athens

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Piraeus to Athens

We'll be docking in Piraeus late next month. I guess it's hard to predict what the situation will be like, but I am wondering what to do about getting into Athens. The hubs and I generally like to do our own thing, taking taxis or public transportation to the places we want to go, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to book a private tour in the event of a taxi strike or metro strike? We only have about 8 hours in port, so I want to make sure I see all of the major historic sites in Athens. According to other posts on Piraeus, there is a metro station in Piraeus about a 20 minute walk from the port, and on a normal day there would be plenty of taxis waiting right by the cruise terminal, but I'm not sure what to expect. I was wondering if any recent travelers or locals have suggestions, given the current situation.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Piraeus to Athens

Hey and welcome whytelightnin2:) Unfortunately, there are no flat out definitive answers here..best to keep checking back as time approaches for updates..in which case, if needed, you can book the ship's excursion! ENjoy!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,549 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Piraeus to Athens

Hi,

When you dock you can take a bus around the port to the metro station. I can't remember what the number is now but it used to be the 843. Anyway, please do check. The bus will stop at the metro station which is impossibe to miss since many people will get on and off the bus there.

Hopefully, you will be lucky and avoid the strikes.

Happy travels, Andy

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,549 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Piraeus to Athens

Incidentally, the bus service is frequent.

4. Re: Transportation from Piraeus to Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, October 27, 2012