We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

X96 to Pireaus for Naxos ferry, airport or ferryport safer?

bristol
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
X96 to Pireaus for Naxos ferry, airport or ferryport safer?

Hi,

We are travelling to naxos on the 15th September and have a few questions about the bus link from Athens airport to Piraeus. We are getting in about 2am on the morning of the 15th and need to know how often the buses run at this time of the day? Does anyone know what minute past the hour they go? It would be great if someone could tell me the internet link for an up to date timetable for the X96.

Where can we buy tickets for the bus, can you buy them on the bus or beforehand?

Also, we are getting the blue star ferry to naxos leaving at 7:15am. How early can we get on the ferry?

Also, would it be best to make our way to the ferry port as soon as possible or hang around in arrivals (get some food/coffee etc) and get a bus later on?

Can anyone tell me what the ferry terminal is like (safe/places to eat/sit etc), is it somewhere that it would be fine to hang around in for a few hours?

Also, I have booked my ferry tickets online in advance. Where abouts in Piraeus do we pick them up? Is there a fast ticket machine somewhere in the ferry terminal?

Thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: X96 to Pireaus for Naxos ferry, airport or ferryport safer?

Hi there

I'll leave the ferry questions to those more familiar but the X96 runs 24/7/365 and although there is a "timetable", in my experience of using the X95 into Athens, you might wait for 30 mins, then get 2 or even 3 buses all at once.

There's a ticket kiosk right by the bus stop at the airport, it will probably be closed at that time of the morning, so just pay the driver and remember to validate your ticket in the machines onboard the bus. Don't give him a €100 note either or he'll have a coronary...:0)

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: X96 to Pireaus for Naxos ferry, airport or ferryport safer?

The X96 shuttle bus is a safe and efficient way of getting to Piraeus in the early hours. At that time there is a bus every 30 minutes, you see the times on the video screens in Arrivals . As said above buy your ticket from the kiosk on the pavement outside Arrivals by the buses . Cost €5.

Takes about an hour and terminates close to the dock for the Blue Star ferries.

Never buy my ferry ticket in advance so can't help you there.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: X96 to Pireaus for Naxos ferry, airport or ferryport safer?

X96 runs every 30 minutes from 9 PM to 5 AM, then every 20 minutes till 7ish AM, and so on. Double check with shedule posted on bus stop.

http://www.oasa.gr/xmap.php?id=px96

I guess your Naxos ferry departs from Piraeus port about 7 AM right?

I would stick to the airport till 5-5.30 , I think it's more comfortable option than Piraues port. There are a few nice places around Piraeus, but not exactly in the port, so you have to be familiar with the area to find them. Doesn't worth the hussle with laggage on tow.

Edited: 10:11 am, August 01, 2011
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: X96 to Pireaus for Naxos ferry, airport or ferryport safer?

Hi,

The times for the X96 are frequent enough 2 per hour :00,:30 even at night. Fines are hefty if don't have a ticket validated in the machine so make sure you buy one from the kiosk/driver and validate it.

Theoretical times are here, exit at the Pl. Karaiskaki stop, most people will:

http://www.oasa.gr/xmap.php?id=px96

Aim to leave the airport by about 04:00-04:30 ish so you arrive at dawn at the port about 06:00. No point in going earlier, just make use of the airport facilities. There are cafes at the port, but it's not the greatest place to hang around in at night.

The Bluestar ferry place to get your paper tickets is pretty obvious and near the bus stop. They open about 06:00 so no problem. Listed on the Bluestar ferry website.

You can board the ferries an hour or so before departure so that's about 06:30. It's all very easy, you have an ideal flight arrival time.

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: X96 to Pireaus for Naxos ferry, airport or ferryport safer?

We caught the 5.00am bus in June, arrived just after 6.00am walked across the road and could get straight on the ferry. We didnt need to collect tickets but the Blue Star office was open.

Also the kiosk for the tickets at the airport was open. So easier to buy there then you can get on the bus before the driver arrives if you wish to do so.

bournemouth
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: X96 to Pireaus for Naxos ferry, airport or ferryport safer?

All the information that has been given to you is right and correct, treat it as an adventure and enjoy the experience of the bus trip through Athens....it's fun.

Do not be afraid it is very safe and for me I prefer to spend a couple of hours at the port rather than the airport, both are safe.

A little tip if you like to be outside on the trip to Naxos sit on the left side (port) to enjoy the best of the sun, when you are in port it seems as though you should be the other side.....wrong trust me.

Wishing you a good trip... enjoy.

ps leave the place tidy I will be on Bluestar to Naxos 2 days later.

7. Re: X96 to Pireaus for Naxos ferry, airport or ferryport safer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 08, 2012