We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Piraeus to our hotel

New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from Piraeus to our hotel

Are there any problems or lengthy delays getting a taxi from Piraeus to our hotel (Marriott near the acropolis) when we disembark from our cruise in mid-May?

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
679 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Piraeus to our hotel

A suggestion, catch the Metro from Piraeus to Athens (CBD), check out Google maps to determine appropriate station close to your hotel.

Piraeus Metro Station right at the wharves, 15 minute journey to CBD, cheap and efficient!

Safe travels!

Piraeus, Greece
Level Contributor
115 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Piraeus to our hotel

Hello Ted,

There will be no problem at all to find a taxi. Problem is that, if you catch one from the cruise port, the driver will you charge double or triple of what you should really pay (illigal, but well established mafia-like practice).

To avoid that, get out of the cruise port on foot and catch one from the road. The fee should be 10-15 euros according to the traffic. But many of this forum said it is difficult less than 20. I live in Piraeus and all I can do is to tell you what I always pay.

Marriott, unfortunately, isn't close to any of metro station (and not so close to Acropolis either). You need bus or trolley.

Good luck.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Piraeus to our hotel

Hey and welcome Ted:-) Only delay I can imagine depends on the vessel you're disembarking from since some cruisers hold 1000+ pax and it can be quite a scene when they all disembark at the same time..and all looking to get 'somewhere' from there! Having said that, there are cabs but agree w/mesogeia here..a good way to get one is to walk out of the mob scene and head into the streets (how we managed to get one out of Piraues as well!) Fare should be no more than 15-20E depending on traffic..and if it's the Ledra Marriott property you are referring to (only Marriott property in Athens), then it is a bit of a distance from the Akropolis..Hotel does offer shuttle buses into the Center at Syntagma from where most sites are walkable..you also have the option of bus/tram which should take about 10-15 min..again, depending on traffic..best bet is to hop in a cab for around 5E;-) The metro green line from Piraues will take you into Athens proper and even though you'd need to make a train change at Omonia, will still leave you w/a bit of a distance to walk since the closest stop would be at Syngrou-Fix on the Red metro line..you can opt for the metro and grab a cab from there..but IMO, not worth the hassle! Have fun and EnjoY!

Level Contributor
143 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Piraeus to our hotel

We're disembarking in Pireaus in August and I have looked at prebooking a taxi from a reputable company. look at athensinfoguide.com/taxi transfers

They will quote you a price in advance.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Piraeus to our hotel

Ledra Marriott hotel is situated on the avenue, which is from Piraeus to Athens, so to speak.

I would personally catch a taxi from the street, just a little walk, outside the cruise disembarkation area. My sister, who came on a cruise ship and took a taxi to Athens centre from the port area, paid a hefty 30 euros instead a normal 7 Euro trip a few years ago, so be warned !

Otherwise keep an eye at the meter, and see what others suggested for a normal price, definitely should not be more than 10 Euro. All this ofcourse depending on the traffic.

Or you can call a radio taxi from the port, and pay the basic fee for radiotaxi, plus the actual drive to your hotel.

Sorry cannot give you a number, but perhaps will find one for you.

6. Re: Taxi from Piraeus to our hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 08, 2010
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor