We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local food to try

nova scotia
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
local food to try

My husband and I with our 3 teenage daughters will be visiting Athens in May and was wondering if someone can recommend various types of food to try. Thanks

West Caldwell, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local food to try

If you go to Matt Barretts sight on the net he has some good articles on food and where to try them.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local food to try

esdenhearth: I will also be in Athens in May - flying from Heathrow on May 18 and returning to London on the 22nd. When will you be there?

nova scotia
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local food to try

we will be there the beginning of may until the middle of may. its funny to think that someone else from N.S. is also planning to go such an ecxiting city around the same time.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local food to try

Hi - a good idea would be to order a Meze - it's lots of little dishes (greek equivalent to Tapas). That way you can try all sorts of different tastes without being stuck with a plate full of something you may not like - it's also a nice social way of eating - sharing the flavours and the experience!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: local food to try

I would suggest: Sholarhio Taverna in Plaka Area. Ask your hotel for walkin directions. It is an old taverna with a first floor area. Take a table in the first floor. They bring a set of dishes in front of yoy and you can take anything you want. I would suggest: greek salad ( of course ), bekri-meze, village sausage, potato salad, and some eggplant dish. Some dishes have garlic in their recipe. If you dont want garlic ( skordo ) you can ask which dishes contain it. Also try ( only for your husband and you ) the red wine pots ( they bring it in pots: small and large size). The meal will cost u about 10 to 15 euros per person.

Generally in old greek tavernas they bring u a set of dishes or you can visit the kitchen or the kitchen bar to see what you want to order.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: local food to try

Also try http://www.athensguide.com/food.html. Really good choices and advices. This a general Athens related site which is really nice. Spend sometime to read the snow-about part of the site. I burst in laughs reading it because, snowing in Athens is somewhat like raining in Sahara desert.