We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens Parthenon getting to it

Isle of Portland...
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Athens Parthenon getting to it

I have an arthritic knee and I am wondering if I can make it to the top of the Parthenon. Can someone tell me what the walkway to the top is all about: path, steep path, steps (how may flights). Thanks in advance.

Chuck

1. Re: Athens Parthenon getting to it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:44 pm, August 06, 2016
Edited: 4:44 pm, August 06, 2016
Isle of Portland...
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens Parthenon getting to it

I am not a troll, hell I am not even sure what that means. I am just a guy with a bad knee trying to find out what the path to the top is like. Some one last week said there are 4 flights of steps. Are they all a once or throughout out the climb? Is the path steep or mild?

Thanks,

Chuck

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,648 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens Parthenon getting to it

I answered that question here:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g189…

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,648 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens Parthenon getting to it

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt again, as the link I gave you doesn't seem to work.

I described the path and the steps in my answer to your same question on 22 July, and gave you information about the elevator in case you felt, on the basis of my information, that you couldn't make it.

This is a copy of my post.

"What do you mean by "A bad leg"? How bad is it?

There are several ways up, but the best way for a bad leg is from the main entrance on Dionysiou Areopagitou. It's a 10-20 minute gentle uphill stroll to the ticket office. From there on, it's all steps, some of them very high steps, which would be a problem for a bad leg - but again, how bad is it? How handicapped are you in normal living? Can you walk uphill? Up stairs? More information will get you a more precise answer.

If you feel, from what I've said so far, that the steps would be impossible for you, there is an elevator for wheelchair users and people with severe disability problems. It has to be arranged in advance, and you'll find all the information on the right hand side of your screen. Under Top Questions about Athens, click on "Wheelchair accessibility".

Please be aware that once you are on the top of the hill, the surface is rough, with many parts that might be difficult for a bad leg. You need to watch your footing - and it would be advisable not to go up after it has rained, as the surface is slippery."

Four days later, on 26 July you asked if you could ride a donkey to the top. You were told that there are no donkey rides at the Acropolis, and were given more information.

If you missed those posts at the time, you can read them by returning to your threads of 22 and 26 July.

Edited: 3:00 am, August 06, 2016
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens Parthenon getting to it

Here it is I think,

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189…

Describing the climb again & again is not going to give you any better idea, so you could look at the photos on TA, among them are some of the climb up,

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g189400-d198706-Reviews-Acropolis-Athens_Attica.html#photos;geo=189400&detail=198706

Isle of Portland...
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens Parthenon getting to it

OK I get the path. The 10-20 minute gentle uphill stroll to the ticket office I am sure I can do. But what about the steps? How may flights would you estimate?

Thanks,

Chuck

7. Re: Athens Parthenon getting to it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:01 am, August 06, 2016
Edited: 7:01 am, August 06, 2016
London, United...
Level Contributor
20,648 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens Parthenon getting to it

There are no "flights". The steps are as I described them. I have never counted them, so I can't tell you how many there are: quite a few. Perhaps someone else has counted them and can tell you. However many there are, the point, as I told you, is that they are very **HIGH** marble steps. You might be able to get up them with your arthritic knee, but descents are always more challenging than ascents for even healthy knees, andI would expect you to have have great difficulty getting down, unless you sit down on each step and put both feet on the step below. But given your weight as you described it in your "donkey" thread, sitting down and getting up many times might be a problem too.

Perhaps you could go down backwards, but that would be risky given the crowds you'll be amongst.

But only you know your knee and what it can do without severe pain and what it can't.

Have you investigated the elevator?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,774 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens Parthenon getting to it

hi and welcome...,as said above,use the elevator..check this link with all the info needed to do it..

https:/…Use.Of.The.Acropolis.Elevator.html

Edited: 7:11 am, August 06, 2016
UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens Parthenon getting to it

It's a fairly tough walk, I personally wouldn't recommend it to someone with an arthritic knee. Others here have given you as much info as possible about your options. Maybe someone else with a knee problem has done it before and they can give you personal advice, but unless and until such a person happens to read this, I really don't think there is anything else that we can add.