We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental at Athens airport

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
27 helpful votes
Car rental at Athens airport

Just back from Athens. If you are thinking of renting a car at Athens Airport, stay away from GreenMotion. It's a mess. The problem with it even not that it doesn't have an office at the airport - the problem is that it cannot organise transfer to its office some 20-25 min away from the airport. After we had spent four days in Athens, we had a scheduled car collection from GreenMotion's "airport" office, specific date and time. As we were supposed to, we spotted a GreenMotion staff member at a certain exit (which GreenMotion keeps calling a "gate" - confusing, but never mind) in arrivals, who couldn't explain anything about further logistics (how, when, how soon or how long) - and not only because the poor guy did know a word in English, but mostly because he and the company had obviously not expected us to come pick up the car. For some reason he made us follow him from arrivals to departures, to car parking, and back until we returned to the terminal only to keep waiting with no information. We finally arrived at GreenMotion's office after 1.5 h of waiting and wandering inside the terminal. The reception officer did speak English, but instead of offering apologies, she rebuked me for not sending them an email to confirm that I really wanted to pick up the car at the hour I indicated in the original booking. "I am giving you a special responsibility-waver rate and a very big, brand new car", she said. The rate turned out to be the usual one and the car was exactly the economy type I had booked (of course not "very big") and it was not new. Since I bought the waver, I suggested I leave the car at the airport departures for GreenMotion to collect it once the rental is over. And remembering our unfortunate experience, I sent several emails to GreenMotion ahead of the return date. No surprise, I received a reply that neither bothered to confirm car collection at the airport terminal, nor explained any details of their preferred way of receiving back the car. Intuitively, and in order to avoid a very likely mess at the terminal, we figured out that returning the car to the office very well ahead of the schedule should work out best with this company. We were right. But only for ourselves, because the only staff member at GreenMotion's office, after having had me to sign several papers in Greek, locked the office and drove us on the same car to the airport terminal. So whoever arrived at GreenMotion's office after us, they only came to bounce against a locked door. Not recommended.

21 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3 posts
78 reviews
28 helpful votes
11. Re: Car rental at Athens airport

i have to agree with you completely, i'll never use them again, for a host of reasons. They are disorganised, dishonest and take advantage of people.

Cologne, Germany
1 post
12. Re: Car rental at Athens airport

Absolutely dishonest ! Rental conditions without any legal value. I sue them for having cancelled our 7 days reservation (fully paid) because of the delay of more than 2 hours of our plane(even if they had the flight number), just because they wanted to charge us an extra 10 euros per day for a higher category car .

Profit makers and disrespectful .I filed a complaint with the European Consumer Centres Network (ECC-Net) and the local Tourist Police.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
237 reviews
93 helpful votes
13. Re: Car rental at Athens airport

Green Motion had BAD REVIEWS in the past?? Well, it hasn't improved since ! this is the WORST COMPANY you can turn to for renting a car in Athens. First it started on the airport... we had to wait for 45' before the man with the sign showed up. Then he took us outside ( by 34°) to wait for the shuttle... it was a 20 min. drive to their depot... We asked and orderd a 'Nissan Pulsar' automatic... And what was the lady at the counter offering??? An OLD AND worn out vehicle Hyundai I30 from more than 10 years old !!! ( not even the name 'car' worth) with 50800 km on the counter. ( and probaly this meter was even turned back : in more than 10 years it drove a lot more km then that !!!) after we refused to take an extra insurance, she forced us to sign in for a guarantee off 1116 € '...just in case something bad happens' Although I was privatly good insured. There was NOTHING I COULD DO TO PROVIDE THIS. Then when I asked for a controle of the previous damage, she COMMANDED me to stay inside telling that She does these controles by herself !! I did not agree and I accompanied her to the 'car' She was not pleased with it... so if you do come and want to rent here make sure you yourself take a tour around the vehicle and write everything down and controle it before you sign... Once we drove on... on some of these bumpy Greek roads the car ( Hyundai I30) start 'ratteling and made creepy noises.. we were not amused and we refused to go on a trip into the mountains... so we decided to rent another car by Europcar !! ( very good service in Eretria with brand new cars !!!) The girl at the counter by Green motion told me (quote) '... we don't rent brand, sir, we rent catagories of cars, no matter what the brand is and by the way at this moment all of our Nissan Pulsars are rented out... THAT WAS A LIE !!! I saw that there were 3 more Nissan Pulsars on the parking lot.... Conclusion: this firm is a 'crook company' who cheat on customers faith and their money ! In the affice, when we came in and 1 week later when we returned this 'wreckage' their were costumers in that office discussing their problems.. but their counter people are trained to ignore your complains... SO 1 advice ANNO 2018 DON'T DO GREEN MOTION IN ATHENS !!! it stinks and it's a lost of money !! go to Europcar instead !

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
13 helpful votes
14. Re: Car rental at Athens airport

Just came back from there and had a very bad experience with them I have no idea how they are stil in business.

DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM THEM.

Cronulla, Australia
1 post
15. Re: Car rental at Athens airport

NEVER USE GREEN MOTION CAR RENTAL ATHENS!!!!!! My family and I had everything stolen, all our luggage, credit cards, passports from a rental car from this car company in and the local police believe that someone in the company are responsible for the theft. Even if they had nothing to do with it, they held us randsome at the office on returning the car for a 1/4 tank of petrol, because we didn't have the car report when we collected the car (as they were stolen), as were all our credit cards. Absolutely appalling and disgusting behaviour...never, ever use this company!!!!

2 posts
16. Re: Car rental at Athens airport

A car rental nightmare : Lotus Car Rental, U-Save Parking and NÜ Car Rental ATHENS AIRPORT

We rented a car at www.lotuscarrental.gr through Economybookings.com this July.

The company appears under the names Lotus Car Rental, U-Save Parking and NÜ Car Rental (already using several names looks suspicious).

Its address is 3rd km on the Markopoulo-Paiania Road, Koropi near Athens.

1. The man made us wait for 2 hours at the airport of Athens, then drove us several kilometers to his office to get the car we had booked and paid an advance for.

2. There he said the car was given to others, He proposed another car at 36 euros a day instead of 22 euros for the car booked. We accepted reluctantly.

3. Three days later the car broke down so we missed the ferry we had bought tickets for. He finally sent a mechanic who could not repair it. He drove us 17 kilometers to his office to get another car. We had just filled up the previous car, he refused to fill the new one so we lost the petrol.

4. After 10 days we returned the car, he claimed it was damaged although there was not even a scratch. We paid what was agreed but refused to pay extra. He asked us to declare damages to the car so he can be paid by the insurance, we refuse.

6. He insulted us, threatened us with physical violence, hit in the face my companion, locked the door blackmailing us to miss our flight.

7. I called the police station on my mobile. He lied to the officer that I had stoled the car keys from him. Apparently he does not declare the rental to avoid paying tax.

8. We managed to get out, he threw our suitcases in the street and followed us calling us horrible names. We blocked the credit card, as he tried to get money from it the next day.

It was obvious that he is usually making such extortions, his victims being foreign customers who pay up rather than spoil their holidays. I was lucky to speak perfect Greek. The police should stop such people from discrediting the country.

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
785 posts
107 reviews
120 helpful votes
17. Re: Car rental at Athens airport

My husband and I had a dreadful expeeiwnce qith Avis. I.strongly suggest they shouls be avoided.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
18. Re: Car rental at Athens airport

On 13 September 2018, I, my wife, two daughters (age 1 and age 4) and my elderly father (age 89) arrived at the Green Motion car rental agency via shuttle from the Athens airport at approximately 6:15 pm. .

When I was providing the necessary paperwork and documentation to the desk agent, he informed me that he could not rent a car to me with my US-based driver’s license. I was quite surprised and dubious. I have been renting cars all over Europe for over 25 years (many of those rentals were recently inside Greece) with my US-driver’s license without issue.

After a few minutes, the agent said for an additional cash sum of EUR 200 we could rent the vehicle and be on our way. I told him I did not have that much cash on me, nor did anyone else in my party. I realized this was a “shake down” and that we were not going to get this vehicle or be able to leave without a payment of some type. We felt trapped at an off-airport rental site and it was getting late. I finally asked him if he would accept a credit card payment in lieu of cash. My thoughts were that there was no way to trace cash, but if I paid the fraudulent sum via credit card, I could challenge the extortion later when I got back home in the US.

The desk agent hesitatingly said he would accept a credit card payment. He ran three transactions then on my Venture Visa credit card: one for the balance due on the rental for EUR 485.86 and another for EUR 200 (US $234.46) to “allow me” to take possession of the vehicle. A third transaction was for the damage deposit of EUR 800. —NOTE: the agent refused to give me copies of any of my credit card receipts, I did however manage to take photos of them with my phone before relinquishing them to the agency.

It was a particularly stressful and tasteless act by this firm-- made more reprehensible considering they saw that we had two small, tired and hungry children and an elderly parent present for this ordeal. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
696 posts
19. Re: Car rental at Athens airport

{he informed me that he could not rent a car to me with my US-based driver’s license. I was quite surprised and dubious. I have been renting cars all over Europe for over 25 years (many of those rentals were recently inside Greece) with my US-driver’s license without issue.}

You were breaking the law.

And the people that rented the cars to you were breaking it too.

An international driver's license in 100% mandatory all over Europe if you aren't a holder of an EU driver's license.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
71 reviews
53 helpful votes
20. Re: Car rental at Athens airport

It’s a shame you didn’t do some research before booking with Green Motion as the internet is overflowing with bad reviews and warnings against using them! If you rented a car without an International Driving Permit then you were driving illegally which means without valid insurance. Just stop for a moment and think what that could have meant if you had been involved in an accident.

Until recently the onus was entirely on you to have an IDP, therefore many rental,providers didn’t care if you had one or not - but as from fairly recently car hire providers are now equally liable if they rent a car to somebody without one.

Reply to: Car rental at Athens airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted