We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kinetta or Athens?

Killarney
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Kinetta or Athens?

I am looking at booking a vacation for approx. 10 days in Greece. I plan to take in all the sites of Athens and Corinth. I have been considering staying at a resort in Kinetta. Is it tough to get back and forth on the train? I don't mind travel and exploration. Also every hotel in Athens I look at in my price range are just north of the Acropolis area.....and a majority of the reviews state not to go out or to be very careful at night or that they are in rundown bad neighborhoods. I kind of want to get out and socialize but will be traveling solo. Is the city center north of the Acropolis area really that bad/dangerous?

I am not planning on going until Oct or Nov. so I will be price watching and researching a bit more. I am just looking to hear other peoples POVs.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kinetta or Athens?

I understand that you probably find hotels in Omonoia or Metaxourgeio area.

The areas are ok but unattractive / i think someone can find ( rarely ) hotels in lower prices but in very much better locations, even in Plaka.

Give a try checking:

- City Circus ( great one )

- Marble House

- Kimon Athens

- Athens Studios ( this is a fantastic location )

- Tempi Hotel ( very small hotel but fantastic location )

They are all available in www.booking.com and in a nice price range.

I don't know what your price range is, so i just checked hotels in good areas, in the 0 - 50 euros price range, which is the lowest price range possible in www.booking.com . All rate above 7.4 / 10.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kinetta or Athens?

Back to your original question:

for a first time traveller i 'd certainly try to stay IN the center, in one of the good areas indeed.

You have a wonderful time frame in your hands. With 10 days you certainly have time to explore Athens on a nice pace, take in Corinthos sites ( explore the possibility of making a night over or a bit more at Nafplion town to see Corinthos sites on your way to there ). You certainly also have time for a night over to Delphi to see the Oracle of Delphi site and museum and ample time to perhaps do a day trip to nearby island.

Take a note of the abundance of sites in Athens center, here: http://tinyurl.com/AthensAttractions-English . It's so much easier to see them walking, instead of having to commute every day on a 45 - 60 minutes train trip.

Killarney
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kinetta or Athens?

Yes a majority of them are located in the Omonoia area. If it is just an unattractive area, then I should be fine.I just want to stay within walking distance (1-2K) from attractions and be within a 30 minute walk from shops/cafes. I also like to stay out pretty late and enjoy those evening stroll home without being accosted or confronted by people. But we will see I may just splurge and book at the Gate Hotel to be near everything.

Unfortunately I cannot book any of those hotels. I am booking with expedia due to the significant savings I incur from my departure area.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kinetta or Athens?

If by Gate Hotel you mean Athens Gate hotel, yeap it's a fantastic location.

For the month you are coming i am sure you can find better locations from Omonoia and not necessarilly much more epxensive from what you are searching.

5. Re: Kinetta or Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 30, 2016