We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Misc Questions re: hotel, beach, ferries

NY
Level Contributor
89 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Misc Questions re: hotel, beach, ferries

I recently booked a week in Athens at the Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort . I'd like to take a trip to Mykonos on one of the high speed ferry's as I'm chicken to fly the smaller planes. Anyone know the approximate cost, and if it's feasible to visit for the day or do I need overnight hotel accommodations?

I have booked the week of April 14 and May 5th. Either one will work for me. I need to cancel one week and would like to know if airfare would be more reasonable from one to the next? JFK to Athens. There is only a matter of a couple of weeks difference but I also want the weather to be warmer which is another reason for choosing the week in May. The hotel is not available later in May.

Is this hotel in a good location to the beaches and easy to get into town to see the sites?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Misc Questions re: hotel, beach, ferries

If you can lock in a good rate on a flight for May, I would go for it although the rates obviously do go up as you approach the Summer season and may be more economical in April BUT (and reasoning on pricing!) the weather gets warmer as you approach the Summer so early May is better than mid-April (MOST of the time, weather can be unpredictable as well) but in April your chances of rain are higher! The Astir Palace (which I believe is the one at Vouliagmeni) is a premier property on the beach w/pools, etc... and if I remember correctly offers shuttle service into Athens proper....transport is wonderful in Athens in general so you won't have any problems there! I would not suggest going to Mykonos for a day....why not have the hotel store your luggage and take what you need for an overnight at least?! You won't have any problems w/accommodations on the isle at that time of year regardless! Enjoy!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Misc Questions re: hotel, beach, ferries

newguest, you shouldn't fear taking a flight from Athens to Mykonos, especially if you fly Aegean Airlines. Their fleet consists of Avro and Boeing jets, each carrying more than 100 passengers, so those are hardly "small" planes! They are very comfortable, safe aircraft and the ride on the short flights between Athens and the islands is usually much, much smoother than the ferry ride (at least, that has been my personal experience).

Flying to/from Mykonos might be the best way to make use of your limited time in Greece. What's more, people in the forums have reported getting incredible deals on air travel by booking in advance with Aegean, in many cases paying less for flights than they would have paid for ferry tickets. If you use the forum search function to check past postings about this airline, you'll find the messages that explained the various airfare deals people got and where they found them.

NY
Level Contributor
89 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Misc Questions re: hotel, beach, ferries

Thank you for your comments. I certainly will consider the plane option now that you've told me it seats 100. I've taken flights on 100 seaters before. I don't sail well so now that you made note the ferry could not be a smooth ride there goes that idea!

4. Re: Misc Questions re: hotel, beach, ferries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, August 19, 2009