We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reputable Car Rental Companies

Abu Dhabi, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Reputable Car Rental Companies

Greetings - I have read the various posts re car rentals & scams in Greece, and would welcome travellers' experiences of reputable car rental companies ex-Athens.

We are hoping to drive from Athens and finish in Igoumenitsa (to take the ferry to Italy) in mid August. [couple + teenage daughter]. Is this possible? I can't find any reliable information on-line.

Comments, experiences welcome as well as any 'must-see's enroute :)

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reputable Car Rental Companies

You will get reliable recommendations for reliable companies however the stumbling block will be a one-way hire. The company I use are excellent but they don't do one-ways & I doubt very much that many will allow a drop in Igoumenitsa as even if you are willing to pay a hefty fee for this to cover their expenses in recovering the car it would also mean they would not have the car to hire to others whilst they were recovering it & so would lose potential income.

The most reliable companies are independent Greek owned businesses. But they don't have the infrastructure possible for one-way hire. You will need to go via a main broker (Hertz, Sixt etc) who have agents/franchises in both Athens & Igoumenitsa. It will still be expensive.

We get this question frequently here, but no-one ever comes back to say they were successful & most end up changing plans or flying across Greece. To get to the Italy ferries I think you would have to fly Athens to Ioannina then bus/taxi to Igoumenitsa, or possibly fly to Corfu & pick up the ferry there. AFAIK there are no flights from Athens to Preveza, which would be the nearest airport to Igoumenitsa, but don't quote me on that as someone else will know for sure.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reputable Car Rental Companies

>We are hoping to drive from Athens and finish in Igoumenitsa (to take the ferry to Italy) in mid August. [couple + teenage daughter]. Is this possible?<

You realize of course that this will cost double than an airplane ride.

Check out www.airtickets.gr for cheap flights, or go to EASYJET site.

Abu Dhabi, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reputable Car Rental Companies

Many thanks for this tsipouro. We may join join others, amend our plans and take a return hire! On this basis, are you happy to share the names of companies who have recommended? [aside from Hertz, Sixt]

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reputable Car Rental Companies

I can highly recommend Athens Car Rental -ACR. I have recommended them quite a lot on TA as we have had very good service on several visits. Instead of dealing with a broker you get to communicate directly with Nicolas the owner & George. Good cars, good prices, good service. No sneaky hidden extras. And all your money goes into Greek pockets instead of commissions to brokers.

www.athens-carrental.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reputable Car Rental Companies

You could always join the Greeks and take the bus. The scenery is fantastic and it would be very cheap in comparison to flying or renting a car. Buses leave from 100 Kiffisou and are very quick to their destination. The x93 airport bus goes straight into the bus station. Or if you are in the centre of the city take a taxi, it`s not far really.

6. Re: Reputable Car Rental Companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 10, 2015