We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
westland michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Just wondering.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Visa,Mastercard,Amex,only...what is discover card?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
2. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

generally cash is much preferred in greece and many don't even accept cards,so always have cash with you

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Hi,

Visa and Mastercard are the main 2 credit/debit cards for Greece.

Lesser known regional cards you may have a problem with.

Seems it won't be much use:

https:/…q1

https:/…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
76,515 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Discover card is not accepted in Europe: there have been a number of posts over the years.

westland michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
5. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Thanks all. Was going to use cash anyway.

6. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:56 am, April 23, 2014
Edited: 7:56 am, April 23, 2014
7. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:56 am, April 23, 2014
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,272 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

I agree. Use a combination of cash + credit + debit.

There is no reason to caryy all your moeny in cash; it's not a good idea in every place in the world.

I have already managed to leave two times my wallet in two different locations, one in Thessaloniki Airport, one in CDG aiport in Paris and i did it all myself :-)

Use a combination of

1. cash ( for the places that don't accept credit cards ). You do need some cash.

2. debit card ( atm's are everywhere. Especially in Athens there is one or more every 5 minutes walking ) Have some minimal cash arriving and then use atm's to refuel.

3. Credit card ( Visa or Mastercard. Amex is accepted in bigger establishments only like dept stores; reason has to do with bigger comissions so companies simply opt out. Visa is the big thing here. )

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,272 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

I definitely agree with using creditcards when possible, for the reason mentioned in #6 byKinetas K

:-)

Not always possible, some restaurants, even in Athens may not accept them; the smaller the establishment is the less likely they 'll accept credit cards, but, many do at the same time.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Only problem with credit cards can be the transaction fees. You can find a card that waives those fees, which can save you a little money. I have a Visa that I only use in Greece, so it's easy to track my spending when I get home.