We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Athens

Cape Town Central...
4 posts
Save Topic
where to stay in Athens

hello,

My boyfriend and I are going to Greece in July/August. I would like to know what town should we stay in, we are wanting to be within walking distance to markets, shopping, restaurants, bars and close proximity to a few sights. I have heard that Plaka is the best for what we are wanting.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Kind Regards,

Paula.

Mentioned in this post
Plaka
Plaka
11,553 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in Athens

Hey and welcome Paula:-) Yes, Plaka works.. along with Monasteraki and Koukaki areas would certainly fit the bill;-) All central.. merging at some point and lots even pedestrianized:-) If you care to share a budget spread in Euros, am sure you'll get some great recs here;-) EnJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Plaka
Plaka
11,553 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Cape Town Central...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in Athens

Hi Lista,

Thank you so much for your response. We are not finding the info on the internet too helpful.

Coming from South Africa, with the current Rand/Euro exchange rate is not great R16 for 1 Euro! We are budgeting on 200 Euro a night for accommodation and about 200 Euro spending money a day, this will include meals, transport and souveneir shopping and a drink or 2 in a bar to end the evening. We have found quite a few sites hotels.com, agoda.com that seem to have nice accommodation for our budget but we are not sure if our spending money is sufficient. We will be spending 4 days in Athens and then want to see 2 islands therafter.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in Athens

200 euros per night for accomodation is way more than enough. For that budget you can get a very good room in most of the very good hotels.

Your daily budget seems a bit high for me too, except if you plan going wild on shopping of course. Of course someone can spend more but, on 200 euros per day ( for two ) you do have a good budget there to work with.

Check AVA Hotel and Suites, Electra Palace Hotel, New Hotel. Two first are in Plaka, last one is between Plaka and Syndagma, less than 3 minutes walking from the first two. All three are very good hotels and get very good reviews in www.booking.com .

Edited: 1:55 am, February 22, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Plaka
Plaka
11,553 Reviews
Athens, Greece
AVA Hotel Athens
AVA Hotel Athens
1,775 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Electra Palace Athens
Electra Palace Athens
3,341 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in Athens

you can also rent an apartment through www.airbnb.com and spend the remaining to whatever pleases you.

Looking for hotel do your search through www.hotelscombined.com

it will give you a comparison and the best price amongst all booking sites.

Ireland
Level Contributor
475 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in Athens

Hi we stayed at the Cypria hotel last year, its a lovely comfortable hotel near Syntagma sq.

Mentioned in this post
Athens Cypria Hotel
Athens Cypria Hotel
1,021 Reviews
Athens, Greece
North Wales
Level Contributor
554 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in Athens

Hi

We've just stayed at the Hermes hotel on Apollonos Street in Plaka. It sounds absolutely ideal for what you are looking for. Check out the reviews. 200EU will be more than enough.

Mentioned in this post
Plaka
Plaka
11,553 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Hermes Hotel
Hermes Hotel
1,635 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in Athens

We stayed at the Pan Hotel in Syntagna Square. Very clean hotel and it is within walking distance to everything.

Mentioned in this post
Pan Hotel
Pan Hotel
578 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Philly
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in Athens

Hi, interesting that you should mention the Hermes hotel. I am close to making a reservation there but I am concerned about the room size from some of the reviews I've read. Can you offer any comments on that? Also, I read that all the rooms are smoking rooms. Do you know if this is true?

Any suggestions on special requests for our reservation?

Thanks!

Linda

Mentioned in this post
Hermes Hotel
Hermes Hotel
1,635 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Cape Town Central...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay in Athens

Thanks for all the responses! This has been a great help! Now just to decide on what Islands to visit. We are looking at just the Ionian Islands - any recommendations?

North Wales
Level Contributor
554 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay in Athens

Hi

Rooms are quite small by US standards but depends what your expectations are. there are smoking rooms but we're quite fussy ex-smokers and I'm sure nobody had ever smoked in th room we were in (believe me my wife would have known). Why don't you contact the hotel? Not sure what reviews concern you.