We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek Tattoo Translation- Heeelpp please

1 post
Save Topic
Greek Tattoo Translation- Heeelpp please

Hello i just need help and can someone please translate this sentence to greek? "If you do not create your destiny, you will have fate inflicted upon you."

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek Tattoo Translation- Heeelpp please

hi....

αν δεν φτιαξεις το πεπρωμενο σου η μοιρα θα σου επιβληθει ..or in capital

ΑΝ ΔΕΝ ΦΤΙΑΞΕΙΣ ΤΟ ΠΕΠΡΩΜΕΝΟ ΣΟΥ Η ΜΟΙΡΑ ΘΑ ΣΟΥ ΕΠΙΒΛΗΘΕΙ is the translation

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek Tattoo Translation- Heeelpp please

I agree more with ΔΗΜΙΟΥΡΓΗΣΕΙΣ rather than ΦΤΙΑΞΕΙΣ, but I would translate it so to fit more the original meaning :

Αν δεν ορίσεις το πεπρωμένο σου η μοίρα θα σου επιβληθεί.

Toni I agree with you about the final -ν, but in order to avoid confusion with the word ΔΕ which could alter the meaning of the sentence, we could keep the -ν (quote from Wikipedia: Επίσης, έχει προταθεί το δεν να γράφεται πάντοτε με ν, για να διακρίνεται από τον σύνδεσμο δε. Για παράδειγμα, ο ίδιος δεν έκανε δεκτή την πρόταση, απάντησε δε ότι...)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek Tattoo Translation- Heeelpp please

Ok, by keeping "ορίσεις" we don't have the final -ν problem anyway, the sentence is written as posted in post #5 (To avoid confusing the OP:))...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek Tattoo Translation- Heeelpp please

Another vote for "ορίσεις". Definitely A LOT better from "φτιάξεις" especially for a tatoo.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,426 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek Tattoo Translation- Heeelpp please

Interesting discussion on the variations! Maybe it's better not to get a tattoo... lol ;-)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek Tattoo Translation- Heeelpp please

You'll need a lot of room or a very large scroll to fit that lot on.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek Tattoo Translation- Heeelpp please

toni it's a tattoo,not an algorithm..you want to keep it as short as possible,otherwise you will have a lot of letters..

so δημιουργησεις is definitely not helping in that direction as a big word..either way it is a fancier word for φτιαξεις...and using fancy words beats the purpose of the tattoo,which is supposed to be unconventional..

as for punctuation..if the tattoo is in capitals it doesn't need toning and if it is not,take a look at many greek tattoos..no toning..why?for the same reason you don't put δημιουργησεις in a tattoo

as for the v,there are different opinions as you see...i am not a 100 per cent sure..i will let others speak..by using ορισεις the problem is solved anyway

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Greek Tattoo Translation- Heeelpp please

Φτιαξεις sounds horrible and out of context it is also not the correct translation , δημιουργησεις IS the EXACT translation...but too long and still not 100% in context ,ορισεις is by far the best and in context.

Νot using punctuation when writing in low case letters is both horrible and wrong :)

Edited: 1:33 pm, November 05, 2013
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Greek Tattoo Translation- Heeelpp please

i agree that ορισεις is the best...there is no word that sounds horrible neither is φτιαξεις out of context,as it has the same meaning with δημιουργησεις..as for toning for formal work leltters it i wrong and horrible not to use it,a tattoo is nothing that formal..do people use toning in every internet post they write?and i mean in greek..i don't and many others don't..it's not '''horrible'''..let's not take our selves too seriously..relax. that's it for me

Edited: 2:02 pm, November 05, 2013
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Greek Tattoo Translation- Heeelpp please

I don't see a reason to misspell when writing ,you don't misspell English so why should you misspell Greek (not using punctuation IS misspelling)?

>.do people use toning in every internet post they write?and i mean in greek..i don't and many others don't.<

yes because they are LAZY.,..:) still this is no excuse for misspelling...what would come next abolishing η,υ,ει and only use "ι" ?

I am relaxed don't worry I simply want to write properly.

Edited: 2:13 pm, November 05, 2013