We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petrol Filling Stations

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Petrol Filling Stations

We will be travelling to Athens in a couple of weeks and have rented a car from the airport. As most rental companies expect the car to be returned with a full tank of petrol, does anyone know of any petrol filling stations near the airport? Thanks

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Petrol Filling Stations

I run a diesel car and am always very specific about wanting 'petrelaio' even though there's a marker on the fuel cap which says 'diesel'. There are so many diesel driven tractors around here that I rarely have a problem and the local stations know my car anyway (Right hand drive, red plates).

We have a couple of 24 hour stations locally which are attended service in normal business hours and self service using plastic at other times. The problem for the visitor is knowing where such stations are.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Petrol Filling Stations

Have just got back from our trip to Athens. The car rental went smoothly, in fact the rental company gave us a free upgrade, which was a great start to the trip.

As Tsipouro said, there is a service area about 1km after exit 17 on Attiki Odos. I think the exit is signposted for Kantza and the rest area is called the Mesogeio rest area. The pump attendant tried to hard-sell us super unleaded petrol so we needed to be firm with him to get ordinary unleaded. Apart from that, it was easy to return the car with a full tank.

I noticed there is a Shell petrol station on the airport itself, but this is on the road out of the airport so you need to be confident you can negotiate the airport's labyrinthine road network to be able to use it. Not something for the faint hearted!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,275 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Petrol Filling Stations

Thanks for the update FoxPro. Have to say that no-one has ever yet tried to sell us the higher grade fuel, but is handy to know that it happens just so we can be aware. I guess we always just indicate the fuel we want & ask for either a fill-up or an amount of euros-worth in greek. Perhaps we either always got lucky or they think we know what we're doing!! If so my greek is better than I thought it was!!!

BTW which rental company did you use? It's always handy to give a recommendation here when you are happy as it is a frequently posted question.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Petrol Filling Stations

Regarding the car rental, we flew BA and booked the car rental through them. This turned out to be with Avis.

Regarding the hard-sell on super unleaded, over the years we have driven a lot in Epirus, the Peleponnese, Corfu and Rhodes but this was the first time we had driven from Athens airport and the first time anyone had tried to hard-sell us super rather than ordinary unleaded. Like Tsipouro, I usually just say "yemiste to, parakalo" and get the ordinary unleaded without a fuss.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Petrol Filling Stations

There are some gas station where I always get the hard sell offer. eg. the Shell on Mesogion avenue, direction to Athens on the borders of N.Psychiko and Halandri. I know it before hand that I ll get the offer so I m prepared to reply with a firm no, and get things going. Its no biggie. I suppose the attendants are instructed to push the upgrade.

16. Re: Petrol Filling Stations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 23, 2014